What's new
What's new

South Bend Heavy 10 (underdrive) - Leather Belt Termination Idea

pupdogg

Plastic
I've been following this South Bend forum for some time without really having anything useful to post. However, that changes today. I recently restored a 1960s South Bend Heavy 10 and wanted to re-tension the original leather belt without purchasing a new one. Since I don't have the original clips nor a clipper tensioning tool, I figured I'd give Panduit 7" zip ties a try. I might not have much machining experience but I have spent considerable time dealing with various types of zip ties (my company produces electrical enclosures and we heavily use zip ties on daily basis)...and I consider Panduit the Rolls-Royce of all zip ties. See attached pictures for reference. I used Panduit model # PLT2S-M30 which is a heat-stabilized nylon black zip tie rated for 50lbs of tensile strength. More info here: Panduit | PLT2S-M3. This is an outright dumb-simple idea but so far it has lasted a number of turning passes from light (0.008") to mid-heavy (0.10" on ALU). I will keep posting on how it holds up to the test of time.

HukZNTvl.jpg gkt8hK5l.jpg WfTcgKgl.jpg 19ZYFpJl.jpg 8WpWUR1l.jpg

My guess is that it will slip slightly under load. You might not notice it on all operations but it's most likely having an effect.

JMHO

-Ron

Oh, and ditto for what packrat said. ;)

Would have been better to have butt the ends of the belt together rather that the large gap. Will probably slip when the splice passes over the small pulley.

Tom

I think its as good as wire if buying the Rolls Royce brand.:) Good point made. I have learned my lesson on buying cheap zip ties. The cheap ones rot within a year. Probably made from recycled milk jugs.
My dad worked for McDonnell Douglas Aircraft , St. Louis. I remember him bringing a couple home from work in the early sixty's. They had a steel locking clip. The were developed for the aircraft industry. I cant remember when they went public.

I wasn't going to admit that I remembered that well because at about 7 years old I pulled one so tight on my finger I had to go to my dad to cut it off.

I have some extra belts and plenty of ty-rap wire ties,also mil spec. I will make one up for my 13” machine and report back.

Back