What's new
What's new

South Bend Heavy 10 Value?

tra757

Plastic
Looking at buying this lathe. Its in pretty rough condition so I am not sure it's worth the $2000 he is asking. It hasn't run in at least 18 years. He pulled it apart to replace the bull gear a few years ago and never put it back together. Before that, it sat for 15 years in a dark dank garage. He doesn't even know if it runs. I was hoping someone with more knowledge than I could offer up some advice on a ball park estimate as to what it's worth. In the last 6 weeks I have seen, (Craig's List), two different fully functional, and nice looking Heavy 10's sell for under $2000 and there in one up in Oklahoma for $2200 that is pretty nice.

Anyway, thanks for any info.

Front.jpg
rightside.jpg
bottomleft.jpg

Don't buy that lathe at any price. You don't know enough or have the skills to bring that lathe up to satisfaction. You need a plug & play machine, with tools, chucks, TA, face plates, dogs etc. Give yourself at least half a chance for success.

Not a penny more than $500 because you have no way of knowing what evil lurks in that spindle and bearing set. It could be just fine but it could be just a pile of cast iron that you'd end up parting out. If you're inexperience, the chances that you'd ever get it to work properly are not good.

I've seen the ad for that machine, if after digging thru the parts and convincing myself it is all there, $400 would be the max I would pay for it. If even 1 piece is missing $250 at best.

Basket cases are always a tough call, if I did not take it apart, getting it back together can take a bit longer. If you have not taken a few lathes apart AND put them back together, I would suggest finding a complete machine.

Unfortunately, with only the info you have provided there is no way to give even an approximate value. I can tell you there is probably somewhere between $500-$750 worth of parts in your pics, if you were to part it out.
The two main factors in determining the value of the machine are condition and tooling. The machine could easily be worth $2000 or more if it's in very good condition, and/or, comes with a boat load of tooling. Things like chucks, tool post, steady & follower rests, taper attachment, collets, draw bar & spindle adapter, all add up in cost really fast. Is any of this stuff included in the sale?
Also, as I said, condition makes all the difference as well. The fact that it's a basket case doesn't mean anything. These machines are VERY simple. It can be put back together easily following the advice in the PM archives as long as you have all the parts and the ways and bearings are in good condition. Unlike others here I don't profess to know what your knowledge base or skill set consists of, nor do have a way to gage your appetite for a project. If you want plug and play, then buy that, but since you are asking about a project lathe, I'll assume that you're up for it.
I'd kinda like the fact that the spindle is out, you can actually see the journals and bearings!
I think what you need is more info so you can compare this machine directly to other listings you've seen. If you want a better estimate here, post some good quality pics of everything that's included in the sale as well as close ups of the ways and any other wear surfaces you can see. Also, get a feel for how worn the gears and gear box are, slop in the half nuts/lead screw, ect.

With the ways covered by a towel, you can't even tell the condition.
My guess is he's hiding them for a reason, if they're in great shape he'd be showing close-ups... and it looks like it's not a hard bed.
"Decent" ways are critical, otherwise it's a parts lathe.

If we could perform a "touch audit" and we could touch every part we THOUGHT should be there the offer would be $200.00 cash as I pulled a stack of 20 ' s out and explained our normal price was less than $500.00 for well tooled and complete units.

There WILL be missing parts even if you are sure they all are there.

Plan on walking away but take photos of everything and count the number of seperate items.

Let the seller know he can call you later if the change their mind and hope your wife or GF has not spent the money...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Lever clutch, large dials, taper attachment, located in a small machine desert? I'm more optimistic than the others, this could be a good machine. I'd use the current partially disassembled state as a bargaining chip, since you won't be able to test the machine. Frankly, one thousand, two thousand, who cares. If the condition is good, and you plan to keep it for years, you'll never remember the price.

allan

man you guys are picky.:)

I'm with Allan, that's the way I like to find em...offer 1200, he will counter at 1500, strike the deal.

ADD IT UP
Lever apron for wide range box- 250
Wide range gearbox- 300
Large dial compound- 200
Large dial taper attachment- 500(easy)
Tailstock- 200
KDK tool post- 100
Telescoping steady rest- 250
Buck?? Set tru 3 jaw. 200
4 jaw - 100

Etc,etc....

These things are so bloody simple you can check all functions without power,the spindle and bearings are in plain sight so damage will be obvious, heck,even the rebuild book and oil and grease package is there...take a basic set of tools,a buddy,and a pick-up truck...

I see no evidence of scrape marks and the edges still seem sharp and crisp for the most part....the placard not being there means nothing as they all didn't have one.

I'm with Allan, that's the way I like to find em...offer 1200, he will counter at 1500, strike the deal.

ADD IT UP
Wide range gearbox- 300
Large dial compound- 200
Tailstock- 200
KDK tool post- 100
4 jaw - 100

Etc,etc....

These things are so bloody simple you can check all functions without power,the spindle and bearings are in plain sight so damage will be obvious, heck,even the rebuild book and oil and grease package is there...take a basic set of tools,a buddy,and a pick-up truck...

I guess it depends on if you are looking to buy it, complete and use it, or just part it. Tx is short on machines, and the small ones do command a premium price, but as the op mentioned there have been several complete machines sell for less in this area recently.

If it is close by the op, and he has enough mechanical experience that he thinks he can complete it, maybe it is worth more to him than it is to me. Right down the street I might go $500, 2 hours away, I've got to knock another $100 off.

There is a nice one up in Tulsa for $2250 that I would go fetch if the guy would respond to the emails he is getting from his CL ad. No respond, no sell. Weird. Maybe there's one in Denver.

As far as this machine goes, the guy just said he would take $1500. Said the one in OK is older and doesn't have the Quick change gear box or come with telescopic rest or collets. I am asking him about the hardened ways and tell me about the backlash.

I want a SB Heavy 10 because I like old machines, its not that big so it will fit in my shop and they are nice small machines. They still make the damn things, but I don't have $7500 for a new one, nor would I want a new one. My Walker Turner Drill Press is 78 years old and I wouldn't trade it for any other. My shop is free of Chinesium.

ADD IT UP
Wide range gearbox- 300
Large dial compound- 200
Tailstock- 200
KDK tool post- 100
4 jaw - 100

Etc,etc....

Agreed completely. I didn't see the taper attachment earlier, but I see it in one of the pics now. Where are you seeing chucks, steady rest, ect? Am I missing something? I completely agree with the value you put on all these things, I'm just not seeing them in the pics. I totally agree the lathe might be a great deal, even at $2000 if all that is included.
The bed certainly "looks" hard and ground in the later pics, and seems in good shape.
If I had that machine for sale and someone offered me $200, the screen door would be the last thing they would need to worry about hitting them in their ass as they left! Get real.

Forget if I've seen this on this forum or the listing, but I saw it somewhere, lol. $1500 is a bit more reasonable, though a touch high for being in pieces. Being in TX we tend to pay more locally though, as we don't have quite the amount of iron floating around as Ohio or New York might. So either way you're going to pay travel or shipping costs for out of state, or pay more locally. Unless you're really patient, or can negotiate well, haha.

I don't think you'll lose money at $1500, but you lose time in that you'll probably want to tear it down and go through it. But those projects can be enjoyable and informative so long as you see it all the way through. So maybe it costs you 100 hours to get it decent and usable, in that condition you could probably sell for $2000. 100 hours for $500 profit, 5 dollars an hour, lol. But you'll learn something. If you go through it inside and out you'll know every aspect of it once complete if you intend to keep it.

Edit* I would be curious to know what the spindle journals look like under those brass bearings. I'd try rolling them around to get a good peak there. The brass bearings can be replaced fairly easy I would guess, but I wouldn't be too happy if the journals are tore up.

Back