What's new
What's new

South Bend Heavy 9 459Y Price?

King2s6

Plastic
I have a 459Y that i am looking at maybe selling. I am not sure on price so i am looking for some help
not much accessory wise but does have a 8Inch kalamazoo 4jaw chuck
it does have the heavy 2 1/4-8 headstock spindle. not original motor or motor sheave
any advice or information would be appreciated.
Alexandria Ky.

IMG_20190623_134221.jpgIMG_20190623_134243.jpgIMG_20190623_134255.jpgIMG_20190623_134325.jpgIMG_20190623_134235.jpg

Last edited:
20 minutes away from me...and I would like it...small enough for my crippled ass to maybe even use it. :)

I will wait for other members to give a value so as not to appear to be trying to unfairly leverage a deal.

20 minutes away from me...and I would like it...small enough for my crippled ass to maybe even use it. :)

I will wait for other members to give a value so as not to appear to be trying to unfairly leverage a deal.

You are probably in a good position to define an offer since the pricing is relative to the area.

yes, BUT would prefer the OP had an informed estimate of value before I would make an offer.

usually a consensus of fair average can be reached.

C'mon guys! yes, I would like to make a deal but I want it to be a fair one so you are not gonna screw me by posting honest appraisals.

Have at it!

I suggest you two just work it out to a price you can both walk away happy with. I feel like this sort of equipment, especially when sold locally is much more a "well, what will ya' take for it?" sort of arrangement rather than hard numbers.

$500 South Bend heavy 9 for sale (it's deja vu all over again)

$700 1939 South Bend Heavy 9 Restoration

$2000 FS: South Bend Heavy 9 (this was in excellent condition with a ton of tooling)

Those are all I could come up with.
Edit: yep, pretty sure that's it without doing some extensive searching.

Stephen

I'm of the opinion that any running SB lathe is worth $1,000 if the ways aren't shot. Then either add value for accessories, or deduct if anything major is missing. I see a drive plate, spindle adapter, some tool holders, the 4-jaw, etc, but I don't see a thread dial. Using that formula I come up with roughly $1,100.

Another way of judging value is the part out value. I don't know the market for a heavy 9, but if it were a 10 the part out value would be around $1,300 minus the associated selling fees, time, etc, would still put you back around $1,100.

I hesitate to put a value on something I'm not buying. However, provided it's in decent condition and location doesn't affect value excessively $1000 is not a bad starting point. Seems to have a reasonable amount of tooling though i did not see a taper attachment.

I sold a heavy 9 a few years back, very well tooled. (small spindle)
I think I got around $1200.
One with little tooling would be well below that for me.

Attachments

• DSCN5808.jpg
    DSCN5808.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN5807.jpg
    DSCN5807.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 75
$2000 FS: South Bend Heavy 9 (this was in excellent condition with a ton of tooling)

REally excellent condition, delivered to my driveway, AND he brought a good lift to help take it off the truck. 2K was an eminently fair price.
Also this was an underneath drive motor version, a definite plus.

REally excellent condition, delivered to my driveway, AND he brought a good lift to help take it off the truck. 2K was an eminently fair price.
Also this was an underneath drive motor version, a definite plus.

Hey Jim - the big queston is have you got it running yet ): I'm living in NC now but I remember bringing that lathe to you. Glad you still have it

Rick

Hey Jim - the big queston is have you got it running yet ): I'm living in NC now but I remember bringing that lathe to you. Glad you still have it

Rick

You mean this machine wasn’t running for $2K?! Surely you mean he just didn’t have the time to get it set up.

I’d also like to see some more current pics of it.

I don't see a steady, I would guess they're probably non-obtanium or would command a hefty price tag if one could be found. For me, it would be a deal-killer as I do a lot of work in the steady but not everyone needs it.

Rick

It's basically mothballed in my garage - Ive fitted a one hp three phase motor, and a VFD. Runs great
and this will be the *last* machine I ever get rid of!

Attachments

• jrr_H9.jpg
    jrr_H9.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 95
And this machine did come with the correct steady rest. Only other tweaks were two brass oiler hole plugs (belt lever and QC top lever), and
a new cross-slide gib screw,as the original had the screw slot a bit boogered.

Back