What's new
What's new

South Bend Identification

Lynn Boast

Plastic
I just purchased an old South Bend lathe. I am trying to confirm the model or cat. number, since it was not stamped in the ID plate. The serial number is 66226 on the end of the bed. The swing is 9 inch, and the Bed is 4 1/2 Feet.
It is a table top lathe and i think it is a model C, but I am just not sure. According to pictures on the internet I know it is not an A or B model.
Any help would be appreciated.

South Bend Lathe - Information Might Help

Have you contacted South Bend to request the serial card for your lathe? I recently purchased a South Bend lathe with serial number 91122 and the serial card for it ($25.00). The serial card says it was made in 1939. It also has the catalog number listed on the serial card. Call 570-546-9663 or email [email protected] in order to ask about purchasing a serial card for your lathe.

My lathe is 9 inch by 4 feet and I am trying to figure how much it weighs.

When I first came to this website about a week ago, I saw a link to another website where a guy was collecting serial numbers and information for all of the South Bend lathes. His website has pretty good information about the models, such as yours and mine, and it appears the serial number range you provided for your lathe indicates your lathe was made in 1936. []404 Error - Page Not Found

Do you have any idea how much your lathe weighs?

Identifaction

I just purchased an old South Bend lathe. I am trying to confirm the model or cat. number, since it was not stamped in the ID plate. The serial number is 66226 on the end of the bed. The swing is 9 inch, and the Bed is 4 1/2 Feet.
It is a table top lathe and i think it is a model C, but I am just not sure. According to pictures on the internet I know it is not an A or B model.
Any help would be appreciated.

I am attempting to upload photos of the South Bend lathe I purchased. (I hope I did it correctly)

Attachments

• lathe1.jpg
    lathe1.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,213
  • lathe2.jpg
    lathe2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 862
Yeap, that's an early 9C, top oiler on the headstock instead of side oiler. You also seem to have a time machine in the picture :)

allan

Yeap, that's an early 9C, top oiler on the headstock instead of side oiler. You also seem to have a time machine in the picture :)

allan
Yes it is a Time Machine. It also has a Flux Capacitor in it. My Wife has one also, that is completely stock.

how about if I adapt the handle shaft for a Large dial 9Jr (1-3/4), would you be interested in building a free kit, just for your feedback on the instruction set and products?

Steve

Sure, I can take a crack at it, send me a PM. Though, my 9jr is a small dial machine.

allan

Measure to see if the 1-3/4 dial will clear the compound, and if that doesn't make a difference ( I keep mine on 29-1/2 most always) not a problem, I can make the front and rear of the screw. I'll just have to make a little extension tang to the rear of the cut-down gear blank for the insert. The tang on the acme screw will need to be turned to probably 1/4 inch.
I'll PM you a Link to download the instruction set for the NK, read, review for errors, I'll modify a couple of pages over the week end for the Jr mount Bushing.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Steve

Just to be sure you know, in the second picture, that Chuck In the tailstock, is Not a drill Chuck. It is a bearing chuck, For holding motor shafts. It acts as a bearing surface, Allowing the shaft to turn. Take care of it, they come in handy every once in a while.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

Back