What's new
What's new

South bend identification

I got this lathe awhile back with no manual or nothing and I would look to try and find out the model of it. Any help would be great thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nvichzmm3tses7e/IMG_1281.JPG?dl=0

Back in the day of American made SB lathes the How to Run a Lathe WAS the manual. You have one of the later SB lathes most likely made off shore ,Korea or Spain were some of the suspects as I recall.

I don't know what it is, if you got any model or serial numbers, try posting them. Or any data tag info.

Just looking at some pics it reminds me of the styles of cs33, or cs 39, or gap bed stuff. But I dont know anything about them. One thread here:
South Bend CS 33 Geared Head Lathe.

That handwheel on wrong side of apron, not seen that before.

here's a cs 39:

105.jpg

The serial number is 51880. I can’t find anymore numbers or model names.

Out of curiosity. If you see any "Made in -----" whichever country. Maybe on lathe, maybe you'll see on a part if you lift the lid, or some something like that.

Usually on a data tag of electric motor, will show the motor's country of origin.

Then we can see if it was Spain, South Korea, or where. Might start leading to a trail anyway.

Out of curiosity. If you see any "Made in -----" whichever country. Maybe on lathe, maybe you'll see on a part if you lift the lid, or some something like that.

Usually on a data tag of electric motor, will show the motor's country of origin.

Then we can see if it was Spain, South Korea, or where. Might start leading to a trail anyway.

I didn’t think about the motor. When get back over there see I can see it. Thanks guys

I'd be curious if dials and such are standard or metric too.

If you get some close up pics of the controls where we can read the charts and such, or whatever other pics. If you still can't upload, do the dropbox thing or imgur.com, and post links, I'll cut them out and post them.

I'm leaning toward Metosa from Spain. Note the chip ramps from bases to chip pan is real close to what you have. It seems Metosa's prefer two spokes on apron handwheels though, you have three.

106.jpg

I'm leaning toward Metosa from Spain. Note the chip ramps from bases to chip pan is real close to what you have. It seems Metosa's prefer two spokes on apron handwheels though, you have three.

View attachment 286201

Dropbox - Mystery southbend - Simplify your life

Here are some more pics. I got one of the cross feed dial and of the thread chart. I tried to find something else that might help identify this thing but I couldn’t find anything that stood out.

Back