South Bend Indexing Centers - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I recently found one of these indexers at the salvage yard, had to pay $0.30 per pound, (sorry,) I assume the knurled nut needs to be turned counter-clockwise to move the gears into engagement. Is that correct? I have not put the strap wench on it yet, can't move it by hand. Thanks,

Bret

sb_indexer.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bret,
    NIce find. If I were you, I'd go back tomorrow and plan to spend the day digging in the same general area. Maybe even two days.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What was the address of that scrap yard?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did scour that spot and found nothing else, the centers and a set of 1-2-3 blocks were sitting on a wall just waiting to be picked. Its a scrap yard in the Midwest, mostly agricultural waste and household junk occasionally a few cherries pop up.

Bret

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is an old thread, so I guess I'll find out if anyone is still following it. If someone has one of these fixtures and uses it with the clamp and the dog I would appreciate it if they could explain how the three set screws on the dog are supposed to work. (I can see that the fourth screw holds the dog to the center.) I assume they somehow help to secure the pin that comes from the clamp to the dog, but it's not obvious how that works since there are only three screws and the clamp will adjust to any size of work being held in the fixture. They appear to be regular set screws so they're tightening down, not pulling the two arms of the dog together. I need to make a dog for mine (and a clamp too), and it would be very helpful if someone could explain the function of those three screws so I can use the right kind of screws and locate them correctly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

not too old wlburton!

I happen to come across this myself. I got one of these centers. The plan was to put on my shaper but I upgraded from my 7"ammco years ago to a big hendy that it wouldn't really fit on (I guess I could always clamp in the vise.)

As far as the dog question, I don't have the dogs either so I am bumping this thread to either copy the dog(s) like you or just sell the indexer off.

Kinda cool attachment, It is shown in my SBL catalog under shaper, milling and drill press sections. I will add some pictures up also

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pics

Cool little bugger
    Maybe I should relegate it to the Linley jig bore

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by plastikosmd View Post
    not too old wlburton!

I happen to come across this myself. I got one of these centers. The plan was to put on my shaper but I upgraded from my 7"ammco years ago to a big hendy that it wouldn't really fit on (I guess I could always clamp in the vise.)

As far as the dog question, I don't have the dogs either so I am bumping this thread to either copy the dog(s) like you or just sell the indexer off.

Kinda cool attachment, It is shown in my SBL catalog under shaper, milling and drill press sections. I will add some pictures up also
    I think I've looked at every picture of this indexer on the internet and I still can't figure out the purpose of the three set screws! It seems like if the pin coming from the clamp fits snugly into the slot in the dog that would be all you'd need. Maybe they actually do pull the slot tight on the pin, but if so why would you need three--maybe so you can tighten one which isn't in the way of the pin (it seems like two would be enough for that, though)? When I build the dog I think I'll just leave out those three screws unless someone can enlighten me as to their function and add them in later if needed. If someone had an intact one of these units sitting in front of them I think it would be obvious how they work, but I'm afraid the people who own an intact one aren't visiting this thread anymore!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wlburton View Post
    ...I still can't figure out the purpose of the three set screws!
    Here's my view of it: For whatever reason the pin on the dog is significantly smaller than the slot in the driver (.312 dia. pin; .375 wide slot.) The setscrews are there to take up the backlash between the indexer spindle and the workpiece.

Since the distance from the pin to the indexer's axis will vary with the diameter of whatever is clamped in the dog, there will be one or two setscrews near the dog pin to snug up and eliminate the backlash. I don't think the setscrews are meant to be tightened, just snugged up enough to remove the clearance.

Paula

(PS, in all the years I've had my indexer, I've never had a need to use it. But that doesn't matter, since it gives me joy just by the owning. )

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice to see you back on the forum Paula.

11. Likes SteveBerry liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Paula, nice to see you back here

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

dare I hope??

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I'll be...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree with the others, great to hear from you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    Here's my view of it: For whatever reason the pin on the dog is significantly smaller than the slot in the driver (.312 dia. pin; .375 wide slot.) The setscrews are there to take up the backlash between the indexer spindle and the workpiece.

Since the distance from the pin to the indexer's axis will vary with the diameter of whatever is clamped in the dog, there will be one or two setscrews near the dog pin to snug up and eliminate the backlash. I don't think the setscrews are meant to be tightened, just snugged up enough to remove the clearance.
    Paula is correct on this.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

(PS, in all the years I've had my indexer, I've never had a need to use it. But that doesn't matter, since it gives me joy just by the owning it. )

I have a lot of stuff that I feel like you do about your indexer...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ya, I also have a few things like that tho the indexer may go to someone else in time. I’ve used it on my shaper a bit in the past. Probably better off on in someone else’s collection

Great to hear from u Paula

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome back Paula!!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks so much for the response, Paula! It seems like a kind of funny way to accomplish what they were trying to accomplish (eliminate movement of the pin in the slot). Maybe I'll make the pin flat and a little wider so a set screw would always hit it directly. I don't have a specific purpose in mind for the indexer either--it was thrown in for free when I bought my Clausing 8520 mill--but I'd at least like to get it fully functional. Other than missing the two parts it's in good shape and I'm pretty sure I can find some uses for it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Hawaii
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wlburton View Post
    ..." I'm pretty sure I can find some uses for it."...
    Well if you do can you please make a video or something? This thread has 14K views and I still cant figure out what the thing does!

22. Likes wlburton liked this post