What's new
What's new

South Bend Lathe - Harrisburg PA - Seeking Assistance

Hawk3kt

Plastic
South Bend Lathe - Harrisburg PA - Seeking Assistance
Greetings,

This is my first post, and probably a long shot. I am looking for my grandfather's, John C. Nettling, South Bend Lathe that was sold after his death. My parents sold it to a man who worked for Wings N Things Aircraft Repair in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania around 2000-2002. We have searched through old files, and contacted the owner of Wings N Things, but have had no luck in finding the lathe, or the man who bought it. We have heard rumor it went to a museum in southern Pennsylvania.

My grandfather, and his father, both worked as Machinists in the Bethelhem Steel Plant in Steelton, PA. I have old photos of him machining parts for rail car axles, and the axles themselves at the plant. There seemed to be nothing that my grandfather could not make or repair with the South Bend in his basement, (except gears, he had a friend with the ability to cut gearing). I can see that man's face and remember his model A Ford but not his name. They both lived in Oberlin Gardens / Enhaunt near Steelton.

If anyone can help, or by chance the buyer would be on this site, I cannot explain what this lathe would mean to me at this point in my life. When my father and I spoke of selling it, I had a young family and I never imagined I would have the time to learn the trade. Now my children are grown and I have a strong desire to learn how to operate a lathe and make things like my grandfather did. It would mean the world to me to have his lathe.

If I remember correctly it was a South Bend #9 with a four foot bed.

If anyone can help, my email is [email protected]

Thank you,
Tom Nettling
Cogan Station, PA

Back