What's new
What's new

South Bend Lathe Identification

Domodude17

Aluminum
A guy near me is selling this South Bend lathe for $450, does that sound like a good deal to you guys? He said it comes with "Gears and Tools", so i'm assuming at least the change gears in the photo are included. I sent the guy an email asking some questions, but haven't heard back from him yet. Can anyone identify the model of this lathe? I don't think its an A, but I am not sure about B or C. It would definitely be nice if it at least had a power feed.Is power feed and power crossfeed something that can be retrofitted onto machines, or is it pretty much not an option? I'd like to have them since I don't plan on upgrading from whatever lathe I get in this size class, but my instincts tell me this might be too good a deal to pass up.

This is my first post on this forum, so sorry if I am violating any rules!

00I0I_e4o5RUdojcA_1200x900.jpg

01414_dmZ2lTQO41K_1200x900.jpg

Your hint that there is no cross feed is the apron with only the half nut lever. Cross feed (and power feed other than the half nuts)requires a lead screw with a keyway in it (or a separate feed rod). There is a selection lever on the apron for longitudinal and cross feeds, plus the engagement knob or lever. The selection lever has an interrupter so that the half nuts cannot be closed while in power feed mode. We are talking about a much more complicated apron than on the machine in your pics.

John

We covered this in your other thread, but that's a 1928 or so 9Jr. Certainly possible to retrofit power long and cross feeds and a single tumbler gearbox, but those parts are extremely hard to find. You will have to buy another lathe just to get them. Parts from a later 10L don't quite fit, because the leadscrew is closer to the bed on this lathe.

That said, I have one of these, and its a fine, simple lathe. Good for second op work.

allan

Hey - I just wanted to chime in - I just purchased this one (Didn't realize another forum member was looking at it until I posted my thread)... But it looks like you are looking for a 9(a/b/c) model that either has the quick change gears or can have them added.

I've been scouring craigslist in our area too and have a couple of leads for you..

Check this one out - I think its a model C for $500:

Little south bend lathe - tools - by owner - sale

I already contacted that seller, but he blew me off as I was out of town and wanted to have him hold it.. If you can be more direct, I think he will deal with you.

Also - this one - $450 (Needs Backgears):

9" South Bend Lathe - tools - by owner - sale

If you don't mind a drive - Up in Cheboygan - Much larger $1900 - not sure of model, but appears complete:
South Bend toolroom lathe - tools - by owner - sale

I'm vacationing near Cheboygan and would be happy to go see it and ask questions for you Tomorrow if you want.. I'm busy on the weekend though..

Good luck - I was driving my wife crazy trying to work my deal.. lol!

Hey - I just wanted to chime in - I just purchased this one (Didn't realize another forum member was looking at it until I posted my thread)... But it looks like you are looking for a 9(a/b/c) model that either has the quick change gears or can have them added.

I've been scouring craigslist in our area too and have a couple of leads for you..

Check this one out - I think its a model C for $500:

Little south bend lathe - tools - by owner - sale

I already contacted that seller, but he blew me off as I was out of town and wanted to have him hold it.. If you can be more direct, I think he will deal with you.

Also - this one - $450 (Needs Backgears):

9" South Bend Lathe - tools - by owner - sale

If you don't mind a drive - Up in Cheboygan - Much larger $1900 - not sure of model, but appears complete:
South Bend toolroom lathe - tools - by owner - sale

I'm vacationing near Cheboygan and would be happy to go see it and ask questions for you Tomorrow if you want.. I'm busy on the weekend though..

Good luck - I was driving my wife crazy trying to work my deal.. lol!

Saw your other thread about picking up the one lathe, congrats! I was just looking for something a little newer. I actually was talking to the guy who has the model C for 500, just a little apprehensive since its currently in pieces so I wouldn't really be able to try anything. Going to look at a Model A in Ann Arbor next weekend, so i'm excited!

Back