What's new
What's new

South Bend Lathe Lower Cone Pully Bearings

dennyatp

Plastic
IMG_20200111_144407528.jpgIMG_20200107_155619950.jpgIMG_20200107_155612182.jpgIMG_20200111_144407528.jpgHello Everyone... I am new to the "Group" and want to Thank You for allowing me to join. I have recently acquired a South Bend Lathe. It appears to have been manufactured in 1940. It is a 16 inch toolroom lathe and I think the number of the lathe would be 8117-E (QCG & UMD). The only number I can find is what I believe to be the serial number which 100000. The area of concern at this point is the lower cone pully cradle. There is substantial wear in the bearing areas of the cradle. Mr. Dave Smith lists several cone pully cradles, however they are not the same as mine. (AS2540FH1 looks close, but that one uses ball bearings and my has Babbitt bearings). Would that "Cradle" be a direct replacement for my cradle ??? (The only makings on my cradle is the letter "K"). If so, I would need bearings as well as a replacement shaft and hardware. I am not sure if my cradle can be repaired. As I say, I am new so Thank You all for your patience.

It could be repaired with the right know how and equipment possibly braze and line bore to fit roller bearings probably not practical.

If I were facing that problem I would fabricate a functional cradle from steel plate/bar and use roller bearings.

If indeed 100000, that would be 1940:
South Bend Lathe Serial Numbers

You can add your machine here to that list:
Serial Numbers Wanted

But, wow that journal is really wasted. I think a repair is possible. But it would need a lot, lol. If less wasted, I'd say bore a little bigger and fit a brass bushing with oil relief slots, and true up the shaft.

Dont be scared of roller bearings, just a newer design. In your pics you have a four step pully, just make sure you get that if you do opt to replace. Some have three step pulleys. It should mount no problem.

If that were my project, I think I might try to clean up the casting, braze on (or cause to be brazed on) steel plates at each end with some provision for bearing position adjustment, and then bolt on spherical ball bearings already mounting in cast iron plates of the correct size to carry the size shaft you have to use to fit the pulley. To build a new mount from scratch from steel plate, while possible, would be a difficult and fussy project because you would certainly want to use the same mounting points.

Back