What's new
What's new

South Bend Lathe SN 38251NAR9 -

HartmanGunWorks

Plastic
I recently purchased a lathe in a bit of disrepair and needing a few items. I am a gunsmith and new to using a metal lathe of my own.

The S/N is 38251NAR9. This might be a 9" swing but, it measures to be a 13" and has a damaged tag on it that says its a 13".
Can anyone please help me find out what this is and what I need to look for when trying to find parts for it including a legible tag, the tool holder, and the drill chuck size for the tail stock.
Thank you

From the serial number you provided, it looks like it's a 9" built in 1955. The letter prefix in your number means................. "N" = 9", "A" = Quick Change Gear box, Friction Feed Apron, Overhead Countershaft Drive(CS), the "R' = Regular Spindle Hole, Standard Swing.
Lot of info here: Serial Number Information
Mr. Wells has been very generous with his efforts regarding South Bends.
Hope this helps.
CWC(4)

79DF5E64-2FE3-4543-8353-0DD778A1C92E.jpg79DF5E64-2FE3-4543-8353-0DD778A1C92E.jpgC4CA4DEF-214B-4C04-91BA-6034D77DBF9E.jpg0A8EE166-FC2C-4BCA-A873-AD8C7A8E8221.jpg

So the 13 on the tag is wrong? That means the tag is wrong that shown threading?
Also Every picture I can find of a 9 inch lathe has two handles on the gearbox and this one only has one I think I’m very confused

Four step cone pulley (like on the spindle for flat belt) says it is not and never was a 9

Your non applicable serial is from a 9 built later than what you have - the QC gear box shown went away early fifties - and what you have is referred to as the single tumbler QC

Get on Mr. Wells page and find a catalog from the late forties that discusses the 13

The SBL Workshop

have fun

ON EDIT

Another give away on age is whether the QC goes to 4 TPI or 2 TPI - the latter being older yet

So I have a Frankenstein. I was kind of wondering if they took a 13 inch leave and put it on a 9 inch bed.
Also I need to get a new threading plate this one that I have is unreadable any chance that there’s a option for that? Thank you for your input it really helps

Also I think I found it.
It’s a 1936 S. bend “O” series 13

If your photos were bigger I would have noticed that - O series apron entirely different from later :D

ON EDIT

Another O Series give away - the tee slots on top the carriage saddle

Apron is single wall - like so

Series O Apron.jpg

Last edited:
Now where can I find parts???

85 to 90 year old parts?

Duplicate donor machine

There are also a few N Series out there - lets see a good photo of the apron (where the controls are). Looks like so - and is double wall

SB N Apron.jpg

Pictures sure would have helped initially.
Lot of good info and member responses for you since your initial post.
Obviously the serial # card (pictured) is for a mid '50's 9" machine, but not for yours.
CWC(4)

It's more than likely a 1928 13-inch Series O, model 386, especially if it has an N stamped after the serial number.
SBL stamped some serial numbers "N" "A" or "S" between 1925 and 1930, this ended when they released the Series N lathes in 1931.
The A was used mainly on the 9-inch Jr's with the older headstock, The N on the larger lathes that had the "New Model" headstock, and the S on some of the last O series 9-inch lathes with the newer headstock.

Steve

Back