What's new
What's new

South Bend Mill Wiring

ReidJD

Plastic
I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have a South Bend Vertical Milling Machine with the original GE motor. I am in the process of refurbishing it and am to the motor/electrical. I'm having trouble reconnecting the motor/capacitor/drum switch.

The motor is an 8-wire, single-phase, one horse GE motor (model 5KC180DJ208). The motor points to connection diagram 732A640, but I have been unable to locate this diagram. The motor is unique because it has two identical start capacitors (from the factory this way).

Does anyone have any resources or can anyone point me in the right direction to get the motor re-wired?

There is a similar post from 2018 that asks a very similar question. The pictures there are identical to my machine.

Thanks!

wiring diagram

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have a South Bend Vertical Milling Machine with the original GE motor. I am in the process of refurbishing it and am to the motor/electrical. I'm having trouble reconnecting the motor/capacitor/drum switch.

The motor is an 8-wire, single-phase, one horse GE motor (model 5KC180DJ208). The motor points to connection diagram 732A640, but I have been unable to locate this diagram. The motor is unique because it has two identical start capacitors (from the factory this way).

Does anyone have any resources or can anyone point me in the right direction to get the motor re-wired?

There is a similar post from 2018 that asks a very similar question. The pictures there are identical to my machine.

Thanks!

Are there numbers on the wires or colored wires?

The wires are numbered, 1-8. Disassembly of the motor shows there are 4 windings, I'm guessing two start windings and two run windings.

I'm planning on running it at 240V.

The motor doesn't have a centrifugal switch, but it does have an external box that I believe serves a similar purpose and disconnects the start windings after a preset current draw (speculating).

Do you have a motor repair/rewind shop in your area? I am not sure what the relay is, (I looked at the pictures on the other thread) other than either a potential relay that drops out the start cap, or what passes as a motor starter to switch the main. sorry I can't be of more help. Jim

wring

The wires are numbered, 1-8. Disassembly of the motor shows there are 4 windings, I'm guessing two start windings and two run windings.

I'm planning on running it at 240V.

The motor doesn't have a centrifugal switch, but it does have an external box that I believe serves a similar purpose and disconnects the start windings after a preset current draw (speculating).

Probably run windings are 1-2, 3-4
Start windings 5-6, 7-8
For 240 connect in series, 2 to 3 and line voltage to 1 and 4.

Start winding similar. 6 to 7 and line would go to 5 and 8. Normally the start winding needs a starting circuit (or switch) to remove the start winding from service after the motor reaches about 75% speed. I agree with you on the separate box.

You can try these connections at 120 volts and it should run with limited power. Something else you can try to prove the just the run winding connection is apply 120 volts to the run windings only. Wrap a string around the shaft to give it a boost to start. If it runs you're OK there.

Back