What's new
What's new

Installing Heavy 10 Cam Clutch

Dan1900

Aluminum
So I've hit a small roadblock installing the cam clutch on my heavy 10. Is there supposed to be a bushing that goes in here for the set screw to tighten against? I am using the SB guide and I'm struggling because if I tighten the set screw and try using the handwheel it binds up. Does anyone have any experience with the cam clutch or know if this looks proper?

image.jpg

never done it and can't recall but looking at the parts list there is a spool shaped bushing that goes in there, the set screw does not appear to bear on it at all, but just locks it in by sticking into the relieved area of the spool shaped bushing(part #6 "retainer bushing" in the instructions)
Also seems to be why the set screw is nutted since it doesn't seem to directly bear on anything.

Maybe someone else will reply since I am mostly just speculating based on the parts drawing.

Now that you mention it I pulled the drawing and it does look like there's a bushing spec'd (#6). Does anyone know the dims by chance? (mainly height the rest I can measure).

Also in looking on ebay for all the clutches that have been sold in the past few months I'm not seeing a bushing included in any of them, is it a part I could do without?

image.jpg

If you could do without it, SB would have left it out. Why not try to make a few of them of different lengths, and try them out?

allan

Just an FYI-

Bronze sleeve bearings in SAE841 .750"x.375" in lengths up to 1" are a common hardware store item.

just make an in-situ mandrel press the bearing on and machine the relief,trim to length....prolly cost about 5 bucks...if that.

Don't forget to mill, broach, or otherwise remove a channel for the pin (#23) to slide into. Otherwise the bushing won't seat fully.

Dimensions are listed, but the slot/keywayisn't pictured in my picture or the one in post #3.

Here's a flipped picture, just for future reference in case anyone searches and finds this thread.

WpduAT8.jpg

Back