What's new
What's new

South Bend Model A 9” x 3’ Replacement Chuck

XP_Slinger

Plastic
Hello All,

Finally registered after trolling your forum for a while, hoping y’all can help me out.

I’m going to look at a South Bend Model A 9” x 3’ this morning. I’m new to doing my own machine work but a friend of mine has a similar lathe so I have a good idea of what to look closely at.

The lathe comes with a 3 jaw chuck, but I’m going to need a 4 jaw also. The seller claims he has one but hasn’t been able to find it. So my question is...where can I find a new or used 4 jaw chuck for this machine if the seller can’t locate it? I’ve done a lot of searching on the web that hasn’t yielded any good parts sources for this old lathe.

The machine appears to be in excellent condition and I’m hoping I can source a chuck elsewhere.

Thanks to all who can provide some guidance.

Edit: I just found the South Bend section. Mods, if this question would be better suited to that section please feel free to move it there.

Last edited:
ebay. maybe buy a backing plate to match and plain back chuck to suit.
Bill D.

Thanks for your response. Does it have to be south bend brand or are there dimensions I can adhere to and use a different brand? I’ve found info that my lathe chuck has 1.5 x 8 threads. Other than diameter is thread pitch all I need to match up? Thanks

Thanks for your response. Does it have to be south bend brand or are there dimensions I can adhere to and use a different brand? I’ve found info that my lathe chuck has 1.5 x 8 threads. Other than diameter is thread pitch all I need to match up? Thanks

Most lathe makers did not make chucks, though some lathe makers did have their name put on the chucks they sold. So no, it does not have to say South Bend on a chuck that will work fine on a South Bend lathe.

A couple other popular lathes had 1.5-8 spindle threads, so chucks and adapter plates with that thread are still easy to find. If there is a difference in the dimensions between South Bend and the others, it will be in the unthreaded part of the spindle next to the threads. Most chucks and adapters will have a counterbore in the back that fits over that unthreaded portion. This where actual experienced South Bend 9" owners may be helpful with advice on what to look for.

You will want a 5" or 6" 4-jaw chuck for your 9" lathe.

Larry

riht or not last one i did i flipped te backing plate around took a clean cut on te shank then bored it so that when it was flipped back the righth way the shoulder cleanly registered on the spindle. a clean facing cut and true of the OD then went to work cuttting the shoulder for the back of the chuck. once theh fit was tight slip i transfered the threaded holes from the chuck to the back plate. removed from the lathe used the mill to drill and counter bore the backing plate. bolt it together and make chips. sounds like a bunch hbut really not that bad

edit to add a 6" 4 jaw looks monsturous on my 9" wish i woudl have gone with a 5" since you can flip the jaws and clamp fairly large stuff anyhohw

My preference on a 9” SB is a 6” 4 jaw. Preferably with an integral threaded back so you limit distance away from spindle nose. If not integral, then as thin a chuck body as possible.

L7

Most lathe makers did not make chucks, though some lathe makers did have their name put on the chucks they sold. So no, it does not have to say South Bend on a chuck that will work fine on a South Bend lathe.

A couple other popular lathes had 1.5-8 spindle threads, so chucks and adapter plates with that thread are still easy to find. If there is a difference in the dimensions between South Bend and the others, it will be in the unthreaded part of the spindle next to the threads. Most chucks and adapters will have a counterbore in the back that fits over that unthreaded portion. This where actual experienced South Bend 9" owners may be helpful with advice on what to look for.

You will want a 5" or 6" 4-jaw chuck for your 9" lathe.

Larry

Thanks a ton for the info.

I know stock on a Sb9" lathe the four jaw is one inch bigger diameter then the three jaw. I believe they are 5 and 6.
Bill D

PS for that lathe carbide and QCTP is a waste of money. rpm and hp is too low.

I know stock on a Sb9" lathe the four jaw is one inch bigger diameter then the three jaw. I believe they are 5 and 6.
Bill D

PS for that lathe carbide and QCTP is a waste of money. rpm and hp is too low.
Maybe I’m not following but why would the utility of a QCTP or more durable cutters be a waste just because of HP and RPM? Completely new to this, but a QCTP seems like it would save some steps in set up from one cut to the next. And it seems carbide would simply last that much longer at the lower rpms of my lathe. Not trying to be contrary...learning.

The reason for choosing the name brand is that they have a reputation to protect. Even the budget name brands will try harder to make good. likely the did not pass inspection ones get palmed off as no-name chucks.

Yes for a top name one might pay $1,000 and well worth that money.

I think a QCTP is fine for any lathe, but it needs squared up tools so lends to inserts. That is fine/Ok but often takes guys away from learning to sharpen one's own HSS bits.

When you have to make an odd shape on a one-up part nothing beats knowing how to hand sharpen a bit.

The reason for choosing the name brand is that they have a reputation to protect. Even the budget name brands will try harder to make good. likely the did not pass inspection ones get palmed off as no-name chucks.

Yes for a top name one might pay $1,000 and well worth that money.

I think a QCTP is fine for any lathe, but it needs squared up tools so lends to inserts. That is fine/Ok but often takes guys away from learning to sharpen one's own HSS bits.

When you have to make an odd shape on a one-up part nothing beats knowing how to hand sharpen a bit.

Making cutters is an art all it’s own, I’ll get there. But in the mean time I need to start turning cylinders and I think basic cutters will do just fine. Time will tell as I get more experienced.

After pulling my hair out trying to find a new chuck with a backing plate with no success I ended up finding a used Independent 4 jaw on eBay. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I still need to turn the back plate on my lathe so it runs true on my machine correct?

XP, everyone has their favorite vendor of imported Chinese stuff. Some of the prices from this guy are pretty good and chucks are priced well. An AXA quick change is good addition to a 9 inch and does a lot to increase tooling rigidity with the added benefit of reducing tool chatter. If you buy from this guy be sure to order enough things to offset the freight costs. If you call him you'll quickly find English is definitely his second language.

Carbide will work ok on a 9 inch but in general yes they're too small, low powered and too flexible of a machine. Carbide needs a lot more speed, feed and has more tool pressure than a ground steel tool. Having said that I use both, with carbide being 80% of usage.

Clicky: CDCO Machinery Corp.

edit:
Oops, my bad, you found a chuck. Yes you'll need a backing plate of the correct diameter with a 1 1/2 x 8 thread. Clean the threads well and test fit it to the spindle. Then machine it with a step to engage your new chuck and bolt it up.
You'll figger it out.

Making cutters is an art all it’s own, I’ll get there. But in the mean time I need to start turning cylinders and I think basic cutters will do just fine. Time will tell as I get more experienced.

After pulling my hair out trying to find a new chuck with a backing plate with no success I ended up finding a used Independent 4 jaw on eBay. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I still need to turn the back plate on my lathe so it runs true on my machine correct?

Tony in England has a great website. There is a lot of South Bend information and a great deal of general machining information. To answer today's question, here is a link to his explanation of how to fit a chuck.
Fitting a lathe Chuck

Larry

Don't grudge off hand grinding HSS tool bits. School kids learn that in one day. The simple right hand turning tool might be your first challenge. Inserts don't/won't have all the shapes a hobby or pro lathe guy will need.
Again inserts don't have every shape. To order a one-up special shape insert it might cost $100 and take a few weeks to get it.

One can buy a square dowel for $2 and practice bit grinding with that,
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kellehe...yOT30Dnci77XxGNbJFRoCqgAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

A small QC toolpost is the first accessory to purchase, with a few toolholder blocks.

Geometry for a simple turning tool:

jrr_toolbit.jpg

I just put a new 4-jaw on my 9a. From eBay, a Sanou k72-125. That's a 5-inch 4-jaw, reversible jaws. Cost was around $180 if I remember right. The chuck is very good quality for that price. You'll need a backplate for it, or make one up. I ordered a 1" thick x 6" dia round slug of mild steel for that, $18 shipped.. It's an awesome setup. Very true and repeatable.

Hello All,

Finally registered after trolling your forum for a while, hoping y’all can help me out.

I’m going to look at a South Bend Model A 9” x 3’ this morning. I’m new to doing my own machine work but a friend of mine has a similar lathe so I have a good idea of what to look closely at.

The lathe comes with a 3 jaw chuck, but I’m going to need a 4 jaw also. The seller claims he has one but hasn’t been able to find it. So my question is...where can I find a new or used 4 jaw chuck for this machine if the seller can’t locate it? I’ve done a lot of searching on the web that hasn’t yielded any good parts sources for this old lathe.

The machine appears to be in excellent condition and I’m hoping I can source a chuck elsewhere.

Thanks to all who can provide some guidance.

Edit: I just found the South Bend section. Mods, if this question would be better suited to that section please feel free to move it there.

Well I’m up and running gents. Cleaned everything thoroughly, replaced all the wicks and got everything running nice and smooth. I’ve begun making and sharpening basic cutters as previously advised. Thanks to all for the guidance that got me movin.

Back