South Bend Paint Color: Update - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great job Brad!
    I really think you got it. I reall had no intention of restoring my "new" 10L but, now I'm kind of undecided. I have to partially tear it down to check everything and replace felts, etc. anyway so.....
    Has anybody sprayed this paint or, are all you guys using a brush? I can't imagine brushing the entire cabinet, chip pan. Great color!
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brad did good.

Anyone want the Farrell-Calhoun number to this I just spent a couple hours with that guy and he nailed it down perfect till we could only discern the halo edge where he mixed their deal and painted to the top of the Sherwin williams patch.

It's an industrial exterior marine grade polyurethane and when it sets up finally as its oil base it gets hard a Supermans head on a thursday, resistant to alot of chemicals, acids and gasolines. Easily applied by brush also.

I'll add the FC Formula to the mix tomorrow, and you guys can all give Brad the credit for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Mike View Post
    Nice video. My new brush works much better by the way, its a 1" so its not huge except when comparing it to what you're using. I think I'll pick up an artist brush and try that too. For the brushed parts how many coats are you putting on?
    A lot of parts, I did one coat, but a super thick coat. The others, I did two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the formula. I have about a half dozen SBs of one type or another. Not a one of them has the same paint. So it is great to have something to use without being torn off in a bunch of directions. I had one that was blue green, and it sold itself. I wish I had scanned that one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For those who want options...

Farrell-Calhoun paint numbers.
    This is an exact match to Brads Sherwin-Williams number.

This is for 1 quart.
    #857 Neutral Base Marine Grade Polyurethane
    B-Y5
    C-28
    F-Y
    KX-Y24

This is a marine grade polyurethane paint oil base. It takes a pretty good while to cure. Not in 2 hours more like 48. It brushes beautifully or it can be thinned down and sprayed. It will set up like steel afterwards though. I have used this paint many times before on numerous other projects. This is in fact what I'll be using on my lathe here shortly . I will be tearing it down and beginning the tedious process of stripping painting and reassembling soon. Will take pictures.

I just hope it turns out as well as Brads lathe did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I gotta say I'm really loving this Sherwin Williams paint. I'm now using a 1/2 bush that I love. As long as the finish holds up I'm going be be very happy with this project.

Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What are you thinning this with? I'd like to spray mine through a hvlp gun.

Are you priming the cast iron first?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk