What's new
What's new

South Bend Recommended Lubricants

bradjacob

Titanium
I put this thread together to help those out who are restoring machines and are confused about the oils they need. I've included a simple to understand break down and also provided the links to Enco for ease of ordering.

I suggest getting a few people in on the deal, ordering the 4 gallons, then splitting them up. It does save money.

WAY OIL
Mobile Vactra #2
Manufacturer's #: 98458N
WAY OIL

SPINDLE - Type "A"
Mobile Velocite #10
Manufacturer's #: 98989N
Type - "A"

GEAR BOX - Type "B"
Mobile DTE 24 [ISO 32]
Manufacturer's #: 98735N
Type - "B"

EVERYTHING ELSE - Type "C"
Mobile DTE Heavy-Med [ISO 68]
Manufacturer's #: 98669N
Type - "C"

Lubricants thread that helped me...
South Bend Lubricants - Lots Of Details

Thanks Brad - I was glad to see that there is a one gallon alternative for the DTE 32.

If anyone is interested in a sharing arrangement I am going to be ordering all four of these in the next few days.

Thanks
Rick

Online at Enco, click on the links (text in blue) in the original post.

It's too bad we can't get some sort of sticky status for your post Brad, as I'm sure you're aware that this question comes up again and again. At least it's down on "paper" now, complete with links to purchase, but three months from now, when someone asks, we'll have to find your post and copy the link. Wish there were a better way.

Hey Dale - emco has free shipping today (and I think until the end of January) so I'm not sure a sharing arrangement makes sense with you in Michigan? What did you have in mind? I'm going to be ordering a gallon of each.

Lubricants

Rick,
Checked on Enco and total price for the four gallons would be about $97 with shipping (only free over $99 order) Shipping to Michigan $19.99, oils 76 and change. Probably only makes sense if it's split four ways, to split two ways with four additional containers and shipping 2 gals. (from me to you or vice versa) would be an additional 20-25 so we'd end up with half as much oil for 60-70% of the cost of 4 gals.

If two somebodies want to step up soon, I'd be interested. If not, I'll just buy the four gallons I think.
Dale

Dale - i just pulled the trigger for four gallons - $76.75 plus tax. Shipping was free with code NCCDEC - free shipping on orders over $25 until the end of January. It seems splitting up the oil would only make sense for local folks at that price. You would have the added cost of containers, shipping and risk of leakage with unsealed containers.

I have also just added all of the above gallons to the cart, but I also plan on getting a "generic" cutting oil also. Everyone says to get the heavy sulfer oils, but they seem to be getting harder to find. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys
-Dave

Anyone know of a source for these lubricants in quart quantities?

If I bought in gallons I would be able to take the bulk of it to my grave with me :eek:

Brad

Brad -

No place does this - this is why you'll see a lot of guys going into a purchase and splitting them into quarts.

- Brad

(I like that I begin AND end this reply with "Brad") :D:D

Any ideas where to get clean quart bottles for splitting the gallons?:confused:

Here's 16 oz bottles from Enco
6536160-11.jpg

Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Tools and Shop Supplies

I'm sure your local hardware store has something too. Empty quart solvent / thinner cans would work well.

Steve

Question on viscosity.

On may 10L's headstock it has three types of oil listed by a number I assume to be viscosity. Light (100), Light-Medium (150-240), and Medium (240-500). It specifies the use of the medium oil for the ways and for general lubrication. It uses the light medium for the apron gears and light for the spindle bearings. It does not specify a different oil for the ways.

I bought it with a half-used gallon of light oil and a half-used gallon of light-medium South Bend brand oils (they are both in old rusty screw-top cans). Apparently the previous owner/user used only these two oils for everything since there is no medium oil. I was looking for a replacement for the medium oil but the Mobile DTE Heavy-Med listed specifies Viscosity (cSt @ 40°C): 68 (SAE 20)!? Either this is a misprint or the numbers on my lubrication chart are not the same as viscosity.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Brad,

Thanks for the plug, those kits came about after years of explaining to customers why I didn't offer the "A B C Oils", on my website or Ebay. Thank you for convincing me to try to market them together, one more time. The Spindle and Way oil had been selling pretty well, but the DTE Heavy/Medium (the C Oil) didn't exactly fly off the shelves, like I was told it would (of coarse I never mentioned it was the C Oil).
Your argument that other operators WOULD buy the kits in pint or larger quantities was pretty convincing, and it was off to the races. It took a little time to get all the details in place, so that I could ship the kits quickly. The current incarnation of 16 ounces of (each) A, B, C, and Way oils ship out the next day, and so far have been well recieved.
Thanks again Brad, for pushing me to put this package together, I don't know what took me so long to see the light. As long as I can get the Mobil oils to put these kits together, and the South Bend community has a need for them, they will be available.

Regards,
Mick Finch
bluechipmachineshop.com

Attachments

• sbl OILS 001.jpg
    sbl OILS 001.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 2,104

Back