What's new
What's new

South Bend Rotary Table Question

skhasky

Plastic
Hi Gentlemen!

I was given an original South Bend Rotary Table (RTB101)in new condition but for the life of me I cannot figure out exactly how it functions. Some parts I get and some baffle me. Maybe you can help explain?
I can see how it mounts to a mill - that's pretty obvious. It has, however, no provision for vertical mounting which is unlike other rotary tables I have seen.
One handle turns the table and the lever locks the rotation - pretty easy. T slots on the top for clamping work. Also pretty easy.
What is the hole on the top and bottom - right in the center of the unit for? I can see using the top to index on to get it dead center, but does the the other side of that hole (on the base) have a purpose? Was there an indexing plate attachment that came with this or sold separately? Was it ever intended to be mounted on a South Bend lathe?

I tried to find an old instruction manual online this morning but after an hour of google I came up empty. I am hoping someone here has familiarity with this and can shed some light for me : )

Thanks!!!

Skip

Hi Gentlemen!

I was given an original South Bend Rotary Table (RTB101)in new condition but for the life of me I cannot figure out exactly how it functions. Some parts I get and some baffle me. Maybe you can help explain?
I can see how it mounts to a mill - that's pretty obvious. It has, however, no provision for vertical mounting which is unlike other rotary tables I have seen.
One handle turns the table and the lever locks the rotation - pretty easy. T slots on the top for clamping work. Also pretty easy.
What is the hole on the top and bottom - right in the center of the unit for? I can see using the top to index on to get it dead center, but does the the other side of that hole (on the base) have a purpose? Was there an indexing plate attachment that came with this or sold separately? Was it ever intended to be mounted on a South Bend lathe?

I tried to find an old instruction manual online this morning but after an hour of google I came up empty. I am hoping someone here has familiarity with this and can shed some light for me : )

Thanks!!!

Skip

That rotary table might have been primarily intended for use on a shaper? It is the one in this brochure right? http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/16497.pdf page 69-70.

If you want to use it on a mill horizontally, bolt it to a suitable angle plate. You'll probably find the central hole is some sort of morse taper... no2, or no3, etc. So you could mount any manner of accessory arbors or parts and use it as sort of a dividing head. The hole passes through and perhaps some accessories had a threaded retaining bolt on the back.

As I say I think this was intended mostly for their shaper and/or maybe milling machine.

Have you found a use for this? I’m restoring a SB shaper and I’m looking for one now! Let me know Aaron

Have you found a use for this? I’m restoring a SB shaper and I’m looking for one now! Let me know Aaron
I have an RTB101 rotary indexing table in almost new condtion as shown on page 70 of the 1956 anniversary catalog. I bought as a collecters item but have nver and probably never will use it. Look me up if you're interested in buying. Thx!! Pete

I have an RTB101 rotary indexing table in almost new condtion as shown on page 70 of the 1956 anniversary catalog. I bought as a collecters item but have nver and probably never will use it. Look me up if you're interested in buying. Thx!! Pete
Sent you a conversation!

Back