What's new
What's new

South Bend SB1007 - Heavy 10 import, safe vendor?

MSTR5643

Plastic
Currently looking at upgrading my little HF mini lathe to something more respectable, and saw the south bend SB007 at a weirdly cheap price here:
South Bend SB1007 - Heavy 10, 10" x 30" Gearhead Lathe Price

i have found zero outside dealings with this site, does anyone have any experience buying from them? id say it seems too good to be true, and probably is but i remain hopeful it is legit, even if it is only 30% MSRP for these lathes.

thanks!

the company is based in Indonesia. Maybe part of a bulk buy of rejects/ overproduction from the factory that makes them for Grizzly. Either way, there are enough red flags there to walk away. I'd rather have 100% of $3100 and 0% of a lathe than 0% of either.

Wow, Grizzly price has gone up. But how much of that great price will disappear when your lathe is shipped from Indonesia? Grizzly gives a freight quote under $300.00 Grizzly had been running specials on lathe pricing they may come back. I'd keep searching.

Look carefully at what you might be buying before you spring for it. It is a geared head lathe which means that while the first stage of the gearing is belt driven, the high-torque section is all gear driven and in turn that means that if something jams, something breaks. On a "real" South Bend lathe the drive belts will most likely slip if something jams. Other than possibly the paint color, that "South Bend" lathes has absolutely no relation to the trusted old USA South Bend lathe.

I've used Grizzly branded lathes which are quite similar to that lathe in many regards and I found them to be surprisingly accurate and capable machines. They are geared head lathes though. Would I buy one for my own use? No. But if you let me run yours I'd be happy to do so.

Just be careful and understand exactly what it is you're buying.

Back