What's new
What's new

South Bend Steady Rest

taquito971

Plastic
I have a South Bend Heavy 10 and a friend came across this no longer used steady rest that we thought would fit. Turns out it's a bit too large. Possibly it's for a larger model, maybe a 13"? Is there a good way to tell which machine this fits?

Brian

IMG_7118.jpgIMG_7119.jpgIMG_7120.jpgIMG_7121.jpg

First of all, you can estimate the swing of the Lathe that it fits by measuring the step of the bed clamp, and transferring that measurement to the casting. Measure from that point to the center of the fingers where they come together. We know the swing is not going to be greater than this measurement. If it is approximately 10', than the previous poster may be correct. But we need to know this measurement first.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

For sure 10ee- new height to be exact( 6.75" from flat to parting line)

The 10 in 10ee does not reflect actual swing.

Last edited:
You guys are awesome! That was fast. I guess I have an extra monarch 10EE steady rest I can do something with.

As luck would have it, my wife suggested I look deeper into the storage unit and see if a steady rest was in there for the lathe (the tools were her late grandfathers) and sure enough, with a little digging, right there in front of my eyes was an obvious south bend steady rest! I intend to sell the Monarch rest and buy something else with the proceeds. Maybe a DRO...

Should be 2 shoulder bolts. You can get them from McMaster for a couple dollars. Mine were missing, and thats where the replacements came from.

Back