What's new
What's new

South Bend surface plate??

Sea Farmer

Diamond
Among some recent acquisitions is a 12" X 17" surface plate with a South Bend sticker on the side. No other identifying marks. Appears to be cast iron, possibly steel, painted gray or grayish blue (I'm a little colorblind), fairly rough casting underneath.

I've done a search and haven't found any mention of a SB surface plate. Is there such a thing, or did someone just park a spare sticker there on a whim?

Yes. South Bend made both a surface plate and a bench plate in that size. The surface plate had machined edges while the bench plate edges were unfinished.

Rob

Hi Sea Farmer,

South Bend did indeed market a surface plate, as well as a less accurate version which they referred to as a "bench plate". They were both 12 x 17 x 3 inches, but you can tell if yours is the surface plate if it has finished edges.

Judging by how many of these I've seen around (none), I would think that they are quite a rare accessory, and you are fortunate to have come across one.

SURFPLAT.jpg

Paula

EDIT: Ha! Rob, you beat me by one minute... but I provided a picture!

Last edited:
I ran across one of these in its original cardboard box over the weekend, it seems I should have grabbed it. It appeared to be new, never removed from its box.

Back