What's new
What's new

Southbend 10L lathe parts needed

edoskocil

Plastic
I just inherited a southbend 10L lathe, I need the gears that drive the gear box. I'm not sure about which gears I need because I haven't found a parts manual. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I want to get her back in working order.

Thanks again! Eric20190924_100946.jpg

Hi Eric, I’m on mobile or i’d Link it for you. But in the sticky topics in this sub forum one is asking for serial numbers. If you go to that topic, the second post has a link to Steve wells website. There click on the parts section and you can find most parts breakdowns for any machine you’d like though some things are missing.

Depending on which gears you need and if you are unable to find them I can supply you with new ones. You may be able to find them on eBay though, 10L parts are usually pretty easy to find.

Stephen

The 56 goes on the gearbox, the 80 goes on the banjo idler. Both are on eBay I’m sure. I think I saw damienpdr list some yesterday.

Edited to add: that’s for a double tumbler machine. I can’t read your serial card on my phone so I don’t know what style you have.

you are missing the-
banjo assembly with the primary and sliding gears
banjo bed bracket
Gearbox input gear(64T)

before you start sinking money tho, would advise a strip down to basic components to evaluate if the machine is worth it.

Most notably the gearbox and apron...that machine looks to have been sitting for a very long time....

it has been sitting for a while, and has a lot of play in the cross slide etc... I got it for free so I don't mind putting some money into it.

If you want to get rid of some of that play in the cross slide, I can definitely help you with that!

parts can you help me with, I'm still confused at what specific parts I need.

Well, it really depends on what is causing the play, if its side to side, or in the ways, make sure your gib is sufficiently tight with the adjustment screw which is on the cross slide to the upper right hand side of the dovetail. If it's backlash in the handle, that's likely a worn nut or screw, I make replacements that I can supply you with. If it's endplay it could be any number of things that have wear or aren't tightened as they should be. Look over the cross slide and do a couple things:

1. See if you can push the cross slide forward and back on the dovetail by hand. Actually put your hands on the compound and try to wiggle it. If it has a lot of wiggle in it, check and make sure everything is tightened appropriately. Also try to wiggle it side to side and see if it has any major movement.
2. turn the cross slide handle one direction till the compound moves then turn it the same direction to zero. then reverse direction turning the handle slowly until the cross slide moves in the other direction. This is the backlash of your screw.

The cross feed screw and nut are worn, I have parts on order for that. Still trying to find the gears I need

I didn’t even notice the name, thanks for the purchase! If you can give me the part numbers for the gears I’ll take a look when I get home.

Back