What's new
What's new

Southbend 10L VFD from furnas Magnetic

Patsy57

Plastic
Hey all so I finally got my southbend 10l and now I’m looking to get it powered

The only problem is it has a Furnas Reversing Magnetic Starter with control transformer.

Any words of wisdom?

I was going to replace with lenze VFD

Let me know your thoughts, I think i can just take this all out right?

Attachments

• IMG_9990.jpg
    IMG_9990.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_9991.jpg
    IMG_9991.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_9992.jpg
    IMG_9992.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_9993.jpg
    IMG_9993.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_9994.jpg
    IMG_9994.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 92
First I assume your shop has 230 volt single phase power. Rewire the motor for 230 volts if it is not already so connected. You haven't said what VFD you are using so I will assume it has a 230 volt single phase power input and at least 1 hp rating. The VFD has connections on the control terminal strip for start/stop and reversing connections. Refer to the documentation for how to wire.

You should be able to use the existing pushbutton station with the VFD. One item that is important. DO NOT have any switches in the wires from the VFD to the motor. All control of the motor will be done through the VFD. Do put a disconnect switch on the line side of the VFD.

Tom

First I assume your shop has 230 volt single phase power. Rewire the motor for 230 volts if it is not already so connected. You haven't said what VFD you are using so I will assume it has a 230 volt single phase power input and at least 1 hp rating. The VFD has connections on the control terminal strip for start/stop and reversing connections. Refer to the documentation for how to wire.

You should be able to use the existing pushbutton station with the VFD. One item that is important. DO NOT have any switches in the wires from the VFD to the motor. All control of the motor will be done through the VFD. Do put a disconnect switch on the line side of the VFD.

Tom

My Shop is a home ship so yes it
Will have 230 volts single phase. From what I gather your saying I can bypass the magnetic switch etc and go from the motor to the VFD directly?

The VFD I was going to use is:

Lenze SMVector Drive ESV152N02YXB

This is all new to me so any help is appreciated

VFDs do replace the starter circuitry required to get the motor moving. This is a bit of a non-issue for small 3-phase motors, but the VFD will ramp up without excessive current draw if programmed that way.

What it may not do is replace the safety feature of the magnetic latch switch. If it’s a concern for your shop situation, pay close attention to VFD settings that control what happens when power is restored after a power supply interruption. You may get a nasty surprise if the spindle starts moving when you don’t expect it.

Also, emergency stop or “e-stop” control features built into some VFDs may not meet industrial electrical codes. Again, it just depends on your shop’s requirements and your personal tolerance for risk. Shop employees, shop visitors, “buddy” users, kids, etc., all factor into how it should be set up.

Back