What's new
What's new

Southbend 1218 Magnaturn

Bob Wade

Aluminum
Hello all

I have a southbend 1218 Magnaturn that I am thinking about selling the lathe is in good shape and runs well I just fixed the tool turret (broken belville washers) and got it working

the way it should. I am running the lathe on a rotary phase converter and it works pretty well but loads the panel down when I start the hydraulic pump so I am considering replacing the lathe with a smaller machine (less than 10 hp) but I was wondering if anyone knows what one of these is worth I dont have any pics yet but will get some to post later if anyone wants to see it

thanks for your input

Bob

Hey Bob,

I just bought one of these at an estate auction for $2700. I see one recently sold on ebay for $5500.

I am looking at changing out the motor for single phase operation (I have a phase converter, but less draw if lathe runs without). I sell electric motors, so not such a big deal I guess (there are 10 to 15HP single phase motors that I believe will go right in). Anyway, the machine I just bought looks close to brand new. I am looking at changing the controls to Linux EMC2. I had heard the SB Magnaturn 1218 is pretty accurate. I just want it to play with in my garage.

I have the programming/operation manual, but could use a copy of the electrical manual if you have it. Also, would like to hear your opinion of the machine accuracy.

Thanks!

Bill Robinson

Do either of you happen to have a copy of the hard drive, control software, you could share with me? I just powered mine up & found that the hard drive is missing!

Thanks!

Mike

Back