UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default southbend 13 spindle bearing oil usage

Hello Everyone

I wanted to ask all southbend users how often they fill the oil cups for the headstock spindle bearings? I put a new felt kit in filled up the cups and saturated the wicks. That was a year ago and I haven't had to fill up the cups since... I always feel the bearing holders and they dont get warm.I use the correct type "A" oil too as I bought the oils that came with the rebuild kit.

Thanks

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's about normal usage for my 10L, too. I just keep them topped off (which means putting in almost no oil). I guess that is because the headstock actually has a oil reservoir that it both pulls from and drains back into. All other lub points are basically flow thru.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm sure it depends on how much use it gets. I use my 13" SB fairly frequently and like to keep the oil up near the top of the oil cups. If it drops a little I add some. If I were to use mine infrequently, I doubt I would have to add oil more than once a year and that most likely would be to just top it off.

Ted

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My 10K is the same. My lathe was new in 1978, used by a gunsmith for years, then acouple of hobbyists. The original paint can of spindle oil is only about 20% gone.A few drops every couple of months. Now my saddle is a whole different story.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Everyone

That makes me feel better I was starting to get worried that my spindle oiling wicks weren't working..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a 13" machine built in 42 or 43 SN 142442.It was probably on a heavy cruiser as the shipyard that bought it was building a lot of those at that time.It came to live with me in February 2008.I purchased a felt kit when they became available.I have done the feed reverse and the tailstock.I did remove the spindle and clean out both reservoirs before I had the felts.Everything in there looked good.I have put small amounts from an oiler in those oil cups,but I would say a tablespoon total to each.I do oil the thrust bearing separately. The oil is still clear and clean.The machine is in a very clean environment.I do most of my cast iron turning on a 13" regal that is out in the garage.That machine can turn 25 RPM.I occasionally run the SBL 13 at full speed for hours (I have a set of the 2A colletts)It has never even warmed up the caps.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MeanMachine1980 View Post
    Thanks Everyone

That makes me feel better I was starting to get worried that my spindle oiling wicks weren't working..
    Look for oil leaking around the outside of the spindle head. When I see that, I know that oil has to getting to the spindle journal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Apparently the oiling system is very good at retrieving the oil.My machine may have had the wicks replaced during its Navy career.When I had the spindle out I found the little wires that break the surface tension in the return passages.The wicks looked good.There was goop in the bottom of the reservoirs that I washed out with solvent.You can see your face in the surface of the spindle journals.My machine is a T lathe 13".That's just a heavy 10 on steroids. Many of us are old enough that we cant live long enough to wear out these machines.