What's new
What's new

SouthBend 16-6 motor question

djbeck10

Plastic
30eb2c69b5349e88736bb7a4ef3c2101.jpg

This is the original motor on a SouthBend 16-6.

Ok, I need a little help. I have a 3 phase, multi-speed induction motor from Louis Allis. I would like to wire it up to a VFD. It is a 6 wire motor but I have no wiring diagrams. The wires are tagged 1-6. My thought is to wire up the high speed setting to the VFD and us it to control the motor.

This may not be ideal and a new motor is in the future for this machine but not right now.

I have a VFD and 220v. I do not have 3 phase power.

Anyone know how to wire this?

[QUOTE

I have a VFD and 220v. I do not have 3 phase power.

Anyone know how to wire this?[/QUOTE]

You won’t be able to use this motor on 220V since the name plate doesn’t indicate it can be wired for low voltage. You would need a step up transformer to go from single phase 220V to 440V and then feed the VFD. Wire the motor for high speed, and use the drive to control RPM. I’m not sure what the wiring configuration would be between the drive and motor.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the VFD also needs to be rated for 440V, and if it isn’t specifically rated for converting from single to three phase, it should be rated for 50% greater than the motor nameplate rating it will drive. In this case, a 3 HP drive would be appropriate for a 2 HP motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are right. I overlooked that 440 on the plate. Guess I'll be motor shopping :) Thanks for the quick reply.

I have multiple 3 phase machines running on VFDs. I also have a 25hp motor that has aspirations of becoming a rotary phase converter.

Back