What's new
What's new

Southbend 16" Taper Attachment Cover

ramsay1

Titanium
Hello everyone: I have a 1957 Southbend 16 inch lathe with a taper attachment which I added to the machine after I purchased it... The taper attachment was used and there was no cover for the slot behind the cross slide where that taper attachment clamp locks.. I have never seen one and wonder what it looks like and if it could be fabricated from sheet metal.. It is a pain to get the chips out of this slot next to the cross slide screw.. Appreciate any help anyone can give me.. Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

Hello everyone: I have a 1957 Southbend 16 inch lathe with a taper attachment which I added to the machine after I purchased it... The taper attachment was used and there was no cover for the slot behind the cross slide where that taper attachment clamp locks.. I have never seen one and wonder what it looks like and if it could be fabricated from sheet metal.. It is a pain to get the chips out of this slot next to the cross slide screw.. Appreciate any help anyone can give me.. Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

I never found one. I put a rag over it.

I never found one. I put a rag over it.

LOL I may have to do the same thing....I thought that I had seen pictures of a cover on this particular unit but the more I look, the more I think I am mistaken.None of the pictures I see in catalogs show a cover of any kind .I don't know why at this stage of the game that I am concerned.. I have had the lathe for 25 years without it and I am 67 now so...Who knows? Cheers.. Ramsay 1:)

Believe it or not, but the chip guard was NOT a standard item when purchasing a taper attachment. It really should have been, as it really helps keep the chips out of the slot. On my 10L, it is just a piece of 16 or gauge sheet metal. Looks like it's the same for the other models.

Chip guard.jpg

Well I thought I had seen something along the lines of a chip guard and maybe I am not becoming senile after all .. lol.....Thanks a million! I think I can cobble one up with my trusty old Beverly shear....Again, thanks.. Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

Made one for my 13, it isn't a real good solution I don't think. If it is covering the slot with the TP cranked all the way in, it catches on the cross slide casting when you crank back out. And it hangs off the back of the lathe, which is an issue in my tight for space shop.

I have a couple of extra covers that fit my 10L. I don't know if they fit other models. Send email. [email protected]

IMG_1090 copy.jpg

Believe it or not, but the chip guard was NOT a standard item when purchasing a taper attachment. It really should have been, as it really helps keep the chips out of the slot. On my 10L, it is just a piece of 16 or gauge sheet metal. Looks like it's the same for the other models.

View attachment 271466

Back