What's new
What's new

Southbend 16, wiring and first run

djbeck10

Plastic
I have a Southbend 16 that I am trying to get running with the original switch gear. If anyone understands the Westinghouse switch that I have I could use some assistance in understanding how it works as I have been unable to find any manual or schematic for it.

I will try to get some diagrams of what is currently connected. The motor is a GE repulsion induction. I want to run it on 220v. I have tried wiring 2 legs of 220 to the circuit breaker(fuse box) and a single 110v to the same box. I will be rebuilding my switches next. They have some corrosion. Continuity is good through the fuses and fuse box. 110v solenoids both fire with 110v direct connected.

Hopefully everybody should be able to see my photos here:
Southbend - Google Photos

DJ, by the time you spend the time and effort you might be better off to scrap the old system ,get a 3 phase motor and a VFD. Finding the parts to rebuild the old contactors and switch gear is getting harder and harder. ( I am a firm believer in rebuilding believe me. Sometimes it is not really practical.) Jim

Jmm, that is the ultimate plan. Right now I just want to fire it up and see how well the machine runs.

I will get some more pictures of the entire machine up soon.

Nice find. A shipleg with taper attachment. What is that mounted on the lower right corner of the apron, below the chasing dial?
I would have to spend the $25 with the green bear to see who purchased it new. Good luck with it. PB

What is that mounted on the lower right corner of the apron, below the chasing dial?
I would have to spend the $25 with the green bear to see who purchased it new. Good luck with it. PB[/QUOTE]

looks like a Trav A Dial

Yes it is a dial.

3595f0a153580f4887aa357fa78d6f55.png

dd7636d6c14a5cfdbe061c91696c1b4f.png

I didn’t know you could get the original card. Cool stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other than general safety.....Is there any reason I couldn't bypass all of the original switch gear and use a standard light switch?

I am thinking a standard 20 amp switch to handle the line power (220) on and off. This would be L1 into switch out to T1. Then use a 20 amp 4 way switch to select forward/reverse via L2, T2, T3, T4 as per below.

I would always have to turn off the first 'power' switch before flipping the 4 way switch to change direction.

Any thoughts before I play with real electricity? You can see the motor plate in my google photos linked in the first post of this thread.

220V:
Always Connected:
L1 to T1
T5 to T6
T7 to T8

one rotation:
L2 to T4
T2 to T3

reverse rotation:
L2 to T3
T2 to T4

Well it worked like a champ. Now I am shopping for a drum switch or some other more elegant way to power on and reverse my motor.

I am looking for recommendations. Are the green $20 switches from Amazon worth a darn? What would you buy?

I got her from University of Texas surplus. No idea what they used it for but it lives at my house now :)

I think I paid about $1000-1100 at auction for it.

Back