What's new
What's new

southbend 9 geartrain help

plunger

Aluminum
Hi I am trying to put together a beat up southbend. We are trying to get the geartrain to work.
Does anyone know what this idler shaft should look like. It was keyed to the wick slot and Im sure thats wrong.
If anyone knows where I can get a drawing of what it looks like we will be very grateful.
tumbler block.jpg

ya, thats all kinds of "wrong"

id be wondering about the condition of the bore in the casting and checking that.
might be worth just getting another complete one.

Here in darkest Africa you are not going to get a new one. The lathe is pretty beat up but the casting bore looks surprisingly good.

Welcome plunger, nice to see you here as well :)

I don't have the part to hand, but I did find a picture online of the critical parts: South Bend 9" Lathe tumble reverse shaft | pics for someone … | Flickr

The idea is simple- the shaft spins in the casting, constrained by a low sort of head (like a nail) on the inner side, and the pressed-on gear on the outer side. The OD where the second gear rides is slightly smaller, so it is just a sliding fit. The two of them share a key. The threaded section is pretty short.

HTH,
allan

Welcome plunger, nice to see you here as well :)

I don't have the part to hand, but I did find a picture online of the critical parts: South Bend 9" Lathe tumble reverse shaft | pics for someone … | Flickr

The idea is simple- the shaft spins in the casting, constrained by a low sort of head (like a nail) on the inner side, and the pressed-on gear on the outer side. The OD where the second gear rides is slightly smaller, so it is just a sliding fit. The two of them share a key. The threaded section is pretty short.

HTH,
allan

Thats a great help Thankyou.

Hi I am trying to put together a beat up southbend. We are trying to get the geartrain to work.
Does anyone know what this idler shaft should look like. It was keyed to the wick slot and Im sure thats wrong.
If anyone knows where I can get a drawing of what it looks like we will be very grateful.
View attachment 300161

Darn it! If you only knew someone with a lathe.....then you could have one made.....

Back