What's new
What's new

Southbend 9 inch quick chaNGE QUESTION.

appleboxx

Plastic
I HAVE an old Southy with a quick change gearbox. It requires loosening a set screw to engage the feed screw. A long time ago I saw an article on how to install the newer quick pull assembly. I bought it and printed the diagram on the piece I have to make with the indent holes for this to work. I lost the diagram. Does any one have a copy?

Again, you're going to have to be more specific. You probably don't know the correct terminology, so your posts basically don't make a whole lot of sense. Take a picture of what your problem is and post them with your questions. Be sure the pictures are clear and in focus and are posted FULL SIZE. I've never heard of a feed screw needing a set screw loosened in order for it to operate.

i think hes referring to the feed reverse tumbler assby mod thing.
from a bolt down reverser to a pull pin detent style like on a 10K model.

just me but IMO its a step backwards...you can simply make an extension to the head of the hold down bolt, which functionally is as convenient as the pull pin style, but more stable and retains the ablility to independently adjust the mesh of the two tumbler gears via the set screws of the bolt down style reverser.

of course thats just personal opinion.

I always thought the bolt-down reversing tumbler was a wise move by SB - they were aware that novices would be less likely to try
shifting those under power, needing a wrench and all.

I always thought the bolt-down reversing tumbler was a wise move by SB - they were aware that novices would be less likely to try
shifting those under power, needing a wrench and all.

I was looking at those pin type reverse gear tumblers just from a curiosity standpoint as I see them on FleaBay.
But I don't have that kind of need to immediately change gear directions, and the bolt type is fine with me.

However, isn't there a mating piece on the casting of the headstock for this option? Those pins have to index
somewhere on the lathe, and I've never seen the mating part. Again, just curious.
I've seen them on the 10K models, but not 9".

PMc

i think hes referring to the feed reverse tumbler assby mod thing.
from a bolt down reverser to a pull pin detent style like on a 10K model.

just me but IMO its a step backwards...you can simply make an extension to the head of the hold down bolt, which functionally is as convenient as the pull pin style, but more stable and retains the ablility to independently adjust the mesh of the two tumbler gears via the set screws of the bolt down style reverser.

of course thats just personal opinion.

Reverse tumbler must be what I am talking about. The lathe at work can be shifted from neutral to reverse or forward by pulling out the lever and moving up or down. My lathe at home you need to loosen a square bolt, shift up or down and then tighten.
Some one came up with a mod to convert mine. I bought the part but need to make a plate with holes for the pin to INDEX IN TO. Someone designed the plate and I lost the drawing.

Reverse tumbler must be what I am talking about. The lathe at work can be shifted from neutral to reverse or forward by pulling out the lever and moving up or down. My lathe at home you need to loosen a square bolt, shift up or down and then tighten.
Some one came up with a mod to convert mine. I bought the part but need to make a plate with holes for the pin to INDEX IN TO. Someone designed the plate and I lost the drawing.

You can find what you're looking for in this thread: 10K Leadscrew Reverse Lever Installed on 9" ABC

Thank you guys for helping. The original thread I was looking for had a measured drawing but all the info I need is shown in that link. I look forward to being a member of this group
max

Back