What's new
What's new

Southbend 9A lathe 4 jaw replacement chuck brand?

Pern

Plastic
Hi All,
I’m hoping someone can recommend a brand and size 4 jaw chuck for may 1953 Southbend? I’m just not going to spend hundreds of dollars on a chuck, so if anyone can help recommend a brand that is good or decent quality I would really appreciate it. Thx!!!

Hi Pern. Timely question. I am also looking to get a 4 jaw for my 9A. Do you want an independent jaw chuck or self centering? If self centering Google K72-160. Less than $100, but you’ll also need to get and fit a breaded mount for it. For the price I suspect the quality is mediocre at best. I want an independent chuck with reversible jaws, and ideally mounting provisions to add soft jaws. I’d also prefer it to ready to run without having to machine or fit a mounting plate. Budget is about $300, which is still pretty cheap as far as chucks go. I’d rather not play the eBay game.

Hi All,
I’m hoping someone can recommend a brand and size 4 jaw chuck for may 1953 Southbend? I’m just not going to spend hundreds of dollars on a chuck, so if anyone can help recommend a brand that is good or decent quality I would really appreciate it. Thx!!!

Well, if you're not going to spend hundreds of dollars and not willing to "play" Ebay, then you may be out of luck.
Cheapest new chuck I've found is offered by SHARS, but this may already be out of your price range. I have no
idea as to "quality" as I don't own one nor am I testing lab. It comes with a face plate that you will have to do some
machining on...you might read the reviews.

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]6" 4 Jaw Independent Lathe Chuck With 1-1/2 x 8 Threaded Mounting Plate[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Here is a cheaper chuck, but it is out of stock, does not come with a faceplate, and was on EBay.
A friendly Prac Machinist friend sent me the link and he said the quality was "good".

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]K72 5" 4 Jaw Lathe Chuck Independent Milling Machine 5 Inch Workholding Tool | eBay[/FONT]
[/FONT]
You might also check the Grizzly website as they have some affordable 4-jaw independent chucks as well.
They do NOT come with a threaded face plate. Welcome to the world of vintage machines!

6" 4-Jaw Plain Back Independent Chuck at Grizzly.com

PMc

The words "cheap" or "inexpensive" and "quality" are best not used in the same sentence as regards machine tools. You'll basically get what you pay for. What you "need" depends, of course, on what you want to do with your machine. An independent 4-jaw chuck is probably the least expensive and most versatile solution to holding stuff in your lathe.

I would recommend that you search around and try to find a chuck sort of like the Skinner chucks that came with some South Bend machines. They have jaws that you can reverse by simply taking them out and turning them over and putting them back in place. The other type has a 2-piece jaw for which you can take off part of the jaw and turn it over. Seems like a neat solution except for the fact that those chucks tend to hold the work farther away from the spindle bearings and that is not a good thing on a small South Bend.

You may find something from Grizzly, McMaster Carr, or maybe MSC Direct in their "Pacific Basin" sections. But remember the part about "quality" and "inexpensive" being mutually exclusive.

When shopping for used chucks keep in mind that chucks wear and they usually wear in a way that makes the jaws loose in the tracks on the chuck. You can make the jaws hold stuff but they don't always hold the stuff straight.

Machine tools are expensive!

Professionals pay THOUSANDS of US dollars for a quality chuck.

So if you can’t pay hundreds for a chuck then your dead in the water, might as well sell the lathe at that point.

I bought a independent 4 jaw chuck from the green bear, it works fine for the price point.

If your looking for 150$ chuck you’ll have to go used locally or used eBay.

dobermann is right, used chucks are usually worn and need refurbishment to correct the issues. (Bell mouth, worn guides, broken teeth and so on)

Good luck you’ll need it

If your looking for 150$ chuck you’ll have to go used locally or used eBay.

I got a brand new 8" 4 jaw Kitigawa for $120 +$20 shipping. Just a few months back I got a new/old stock 10" 3 jaw Rohm for $125 +$20 shipping, had a few light rust spots from sitting and it was missing the top jaws, but I needed custom jaws so price was right for me. I only watch the auction listings, the fixed price listings are generally too high.

The Rohm chuck had been listed for at least 2 years on a fixed price listing, I had been watching it, seller finally decided to auction it, I was the only bidder:D

See what Amazon has . I have bought several 6" 3 jaw flat back for just over $100 free shipping. Was more than pleased with the quality. CME tools usually have good prices on back plates and sometimes chuck and back plate fitted together.

There are plenty of sellers on eBay right now, dealing in new tooling. If you search for "K72 4-jaw chuck" you'll find plenty, all of decent quality. And under $100 (no back plate). There seems to be a lot of them being sold by a few companies operating out of Perth Amboy NJ, which means they are sold and shipped from the US. Most likely they are all shell companies owned by the same seller.

Generally I've had no problems with eBay using the "buy it now" pricing and paying attention to the sellers reviews and ratings.

I’m looking for an independent one. I’m just looking for a good value and good quality, Ill spend what I have to spend but I’m a hobbyist not a production machine shop.

I’m looking for an independent one. I’m just looking for a good value and good quality, Ill spend what I have to spend but I’m a hobbyist not a production machine shop.

Same as me -- like I say, look on eBay with the search term "K72 4-jaw chuck" mine is independent, very well made, and was less than $70 if I remember.

This is the one I’m leaning towards.

VEVOR K72 Metal Lathe Chuck 4 Jaw Lathe Chuck 6" w 1-1/2-8 Adapter Semi-Finished | eBay

When it says semi finished on the backing plate, does anyone know what is needed to finish it?

Finishing will most likely require you to screw face plate onto spindle backwards and face and bore where it registers onto your spindle. Then flip it over and install correctly and turn outer diameter and face it, usually with a shoulder for it to locate to on the chuck.

I'm going to assume you are new to this hobby, FYI, a common internal joke is that we could save a lot of money by having a good coke habit. If you are not prepared to search the bay for deals, or shell out lots of cash, I hear stamp collecting is nice and satifying:D

This is the one I’m leaning towards.

VEVOR K72 Metal Lathe Chuck 4 Jaw Lathe Chuck 6" w 1-1/2-8 Adapter Semi-Finished | eBay

When it says semi finished on the backing plate, does anyone know what is needed to finish it?

I do like the size and the fact that a threaded face plate is included; sort of a kit if you will. I also like that the bolt holes are nowhere near the edge of the chuck (like they are on the SHARS chuck). Will probably last forever.
(Kudos to patvt)

PMc

I'm going to assume you are new to this hobby, FYI, a common internal joke is that we could save a lot of money by having a good coke habit. If you are not prepared to search the bay for deals, or shell out lots of cash, I hear stamp collecting is nice and satifying:D

? I was just asking for a recommendation on a tool…I’m not really new to this……I haven’t had to buy a lathe chuck. Idu

Gator 5.0" PI Series 4-Jaw Solid Jaws Independent Semi-Steel Body Lathe Chuck

I ended up trying this for around $300.00, we’ll see.

7847078F-A934-4F5F-8CF2-1BEA35003409.jpg

I have my Gator installed all seems to be good, it’s seems like a good quality product.

Hi All,

I recently (last year) got a Sanou 4-jaw off eBay, brand new shipped for about $100, I've been quite happy with it so far. It's as tight and true as anything I would expect from the big brand names. I got the 5" model with no backplate, I believe they called it K72-125. Looks like Amazon has them too.

Back