What's new
What's new

Southbend 9c lathe refurbish

tomcat1

Plastic
Hi my name is Sean and I’ve been working on this lathe since March. I’ve been lurking here for a while now and searched everything I needed but I’m having issues with getting the new Motor working. It works fwd and rev but it gets hot and smokes after 15-30 seconds. I believe it is wire correct single voltage GE type as shown lower left diagram
Any help will be great.

First, bypass your switch and just wire the motor to the input line. If it smokes and gets hot, you probably have an issue with the motor. If not, the problem most likely is in your switch/wiring.

And post your pictures on this site, not an external one.

ok so I wired the switch to the motor like the data plate on the motor for now and have only forward motion at this time. Don't really need rev. at the moment but would be nice. The motor now runs cool and doesn't get hot or smoke within a 15 seconds like before. So must be my wiring.

I have the input cord L1 black going to #2 on switch and L2 white going to #5. I only have blue wire L1 (hot) off switch terminal #3 going to L1 on motor. And red neutral L2 off switch terminal #6 going to L2 #4 on motor. I hooked back up the red and black at motor #2 and #5 like it was before and is on the motors data plate.

Back