What's new
What's new

Southbend benchtop shaper

Sdwatt

Plastic
Hi all,
I just acquired a southbend benchtop shaper that I need to restore. It is missing the oil pump for some godforsaken reason. I sure would like to pick one up. Please PM me with any help.
Best regards,
From Canada
Sean

Sean, it may not be missing. The early model did not have a oil pump and had a row of Gits oilers on the top gib rails. The second model had the pump. Or yours may be the second model that some PO has pulled the pump from...

100_9749.jpg

Mine's the first model without pump and with the Gits cups...

John

Oil pump

There was a oil pump on e ay. Ot long ago
I emaile him looking for a ram gib but he did not have one of those
I cam message him there eBay and see if he still has it.
Not sure what Ted has he been very helpful will some missing pRts for the one I going threw

Sadly mine is the second model. Short of not being able to locate the replacement oil pump, I am curious if I can at least convert mine to some form of an oiled system? I appreciate your feedback.

Got a lathe?
You can always just make yourself a pump.

Or adapt a pump that is available.

Heck, I HAD a SB Shaper that I gave away, never really looked it over. But there are only so many reliable ways to run an oil pump.

A reciprocating plunger pump is just a piston and cylinder, a couple of check valves (bearing balls, with a spring to help them seat) and a pick up and outlet tube.
The pictures I see online show a pretty basic unit, not too hard to fake together out of bar stock with some soldering or a little fakery with some small screws or bolts.

I have a SB shaper that was in a fire and the fiber ring gear is charred off it. I sold the toolslide off it a few years ago but have many other parts from it. I can check in the next couple days to see if it has an oiler.
Wingit

Back