What's new
What's new

Southbend c177oy or cL77oy lathe ????? WTH

The paint doesn’t look original and is even on the chuck. There is a motor/chain driving the feed screw and what looks like limit switches clamped to the bed rails. Definitely looks cnc’ISH but for what, doesn’t look like this could cut threads or anything

And what the heck is clamped in the jaws?

The box around the chuck is a slightly different color and there’s even a hole for long work through the spindle

I looked at it as I do nearly all lathes at HGR. What am I looking *for? I see a taper attachment :drool5:

You mentioned a gear head lathe previous, this is one, and Hendeys were pretty serious lathes. There's a guy in the Antique section, hendeyman I believe, has all the serial records and other info and parts. When I posted, I was out on my phone and saw the t/a as well.

Now home, on my pc I see listed top speed as 382, :D. So that's less desirable, not sure how fast anyone has made them run with pulley changes.

id stay away from that SB....unless it was real cheap.

its set up for some kind of not so precise repetitive work, bet theres a heck of a dip in those ways between the carriage stops.

the electronics were nicely done.

id stay away from that SB....unless it was real cheap.

its set up for some kind of not so precise repetitive work, bet theres a heck of a dip in those ways between the carriage stops.

the electronics were nicely done.

Oh trust me I wouldn’t thing about buying that lathe, was curious to hear opinions on the set up tho.

It definitely is a Frankenstein.

I’m always looking for SB16 stuff so I eventually found this thing and was curious

You mentioned a gear head lathe previous, this is one, and Hendeys were pretty serious lathes. There's a guy in the Antique section, hendeyman I believe, has all the serial records and other info and parts. When I posted, I was out on my phone and saw the t/a as well.

Now home, on my pc I see listed top speed as 382, :D. So that's less desirable, not sure how fast anyone has made them run with pulley changes.

That beast is WAYYYYY to much for me lol.

She’s really big boned!

I want a gear head no doubt but I also would like a more modern lathe at the same time.

For now the belt drive SB is plenty good enough for me.

Had I got that m400 (and it wasn’t destroyed) I probably would still be moving stuff around trying to fit it in my garage! Not to mention working on getting pixies piped to the motor!

Back