What's new
What's new

Southbend compound in and out play

sasanifab

Aluminum
So I notice that the compound where the tool post sits can be moved backward slightly. For example , I’ll move the compound forward and I can pull it back with my hand . Is there anyway to adjust this ? I know there are set screws along the side that effects how hard it is to move the carriage forward

Tool post sits on compound rest. Compound rest sits on compound.

Both the compound, and compound rest have thier own feed screw and nut.

To tighten either up you need to atleast replace the bronze nut. In many cases, you might want to replace the feed screw as well.

The gibs, and thier screw is to tighten the dovetail fit.

Back and forth, or dial play is feed screw/nut.

If you are a budget, get the nuts, they wear more. Ebay, look for 942 bronze vs 360 brass.

I just worked through the same problem with mine. I had about .012 of play that I checked with a feeler gauge at the handle end. I ordered some ring shims to take up the slack. I had replaced the nut and screw thinking that was my problem first but still had the play you are describing.

McMaster-Carr

Also if anyone knows the name of the bit that is needed to remove the handle end threaded cap can you please pop it in here so I can order one. I seem to taker these handles of too manytimes to not have the correct tool. Thanks

Kevin, the elegant solution is to buy a big drag link bit and grind a slot out of the middle.
The not elegant solution can be as simple as buying a cheap flat pry bar at the big box store and grinding to suit. You use say an adjustable wrench on the prybar if you need more torque.

Kevin, the elegant solution is to buy a big drag link bit and grind a slot out of the middle.
The not elegant solution can be as simple as buying a cheap flat pry bar at the big box store and grinding to suit. You use say an adjustable wrench on the prybar if you need more torque.

I can do both of these but thought maybe there was a name for the thing! Thanks

Do you remember the size shim you ordered ?

I have a 16" toolroom lathe and the size required is 5/8" OD x 3/8" ID x the thickness you need. I bought the .010 thickness and you have to buy 10 min. I should say that it helped a bunch but there is still a bit of play in there but not like before. I seem to have a hard time keeping that nut attach bolt tight too.(The one under the compound)

12k of play pshhhhhh we got probably .125 at the very least in our old leblond. It's quite amusing the first time you use it and don't take the backlash out.

That's what I love about DRO's...
Other than just making sure I've taken it out when changing feed direction, I don't even look at the dials anymore.

Once you start looking at a couple hundred $$ replacing screws and nuts, the cost of a DRO is much more attractive.
And in my case where I need to hold a thousandth in a lot of operations, I couldn't do it, without it.

Back