What's new
What's new

Southbend heavy 10 .... what you think

sasanifab

Aluminum
So I’ve been looking and looking for something that’s not huge but good enough for me to mess around on. This showed up 10 minutes from my house. If I want it it’s 2k , what you guys think

That is only 18-20 between centers it looks like 3.5 ft bed ? Only 1 chuck other chuck jaws ? Condition is everything . Price may be a bit high for your area ,here in Phoenix about right with the TA.

The pictures sure make it look nice. Your description of "something to mess around on"...looks like a winner in that department too but someone who knows this size lathe would be better to chime in.

Yes it’s a 3.5 ft bed, it includes some tooling but not much, it’s in beautiful condition. Everything is tight. I notice these lathes go for a premium as their compact but “heavy” . I looked at a few lathes , 14.5ft a southbend 14, they are just massive. All of the heavys around me seem to be in rough shape and are 4 hours away. I think for me , a heavy is the perfect machine. Even if I have to pay a little extra for it.

I also have to mention .... this class of large allows me to transport it relatively easily compared to a larger lathe which requires a rigger and 600 dollar fee

Certainly clean and attractive to look at. The cabinet is nice to stay organized. Taper attachment and thread dial add value. Has a quick change tool post, can't see if it is piston or wedge though, also its not an expensive one.

Be nice if it had a 4 jaw chuck.

From pics it looks very nice. Power, rigidity, and capability may be close to your last one.

Condition is EVERYTHING.

It looks great but the paint looks a little dark, makes me think it’s repainted.

Check the ways! Do some research on how to check the ways.

The ways are like it’s spine and spine surgery is anything but simple.

It’s a cabinet model so that’s a plus for a home shop.

It’s a dual lever QCGB so that’s a plus+

It’s got the lever style clutch so it’s a later model.

It’s got a QCTP but it’s a AXA China knock off. (I had one and it was great just not valuable)

Taper attachment is like gold!

Thread dial is super nice

Looks like a “large dials” upgrade vs the small dials

I get the feeling it’s someone’s pet project that has been cleaned and painted.

That could be bad or good depending on the rebuild.

Give us the serial number! You need to check the ways for wear and HAND SCRAPING and or a flame hardened badge.

If the bed is hardened it will NOT be scraped/flakes/frosted only the non hard beds get scraped and if it is scraped and still has the scraping END TO END then it’s got low “miles”

Also BEWARE of “fraudulent” scraping, google pics of scraped southbend beds or check to see if the pattern of scrapes is the same ALL across the ways.

There are cons out there that scrape badly worn beds just to resell for profit

The heavy 10 isn’t an improvement over the standard 10?

The heavy ten was named because it had the same through bore size in the head stock as the Sb 14/16 did.

It’s a bit more stout (compared to the other 10” swing SB) but there also a sb10K and sb10R But these are not as sought after as the sb10L.

You should ask if they have the southbend serial card for the machine

Edit: ps the “heavy ten” is a nick name.

It’s true name is southbend 10L lathe, Emphasis on the L. As I said there’s also a R and K in Addition to the L.

And this is ignoring the really vintage machines and oddballs

This is the largest lathe you’ll usually find in a home hobby shop.

Me and Tex both have SB16’s. I had a sb10L but it was roached the 10” swing lathes are NOT heavy lathes and in fact the SB16’s aren’t really heavy lathes either.

Compare a SB10 to a monarch 10EE or equivalent and you’ll find the SB are actually on the light side

I owned one just like it for 34 years.. And I still kick myself for selling it... It is just right for making SMALL parts.

The SMALL is the operative word here... I could whip through parts all day on my heavy 10 and not be tired. The same parts on my Axelson 16 or my axelson 20 wear me out...

Don't get me wrong I did turn some rather large pieces on the machine, but it took all week because of the depth of cut limitations.. Also that short bed left me going to a friends shop many times to borrow his 40" bed as my 20" was often just too small...

It all boils down to what you are going to use the machine for...

Personally I would spend 2 grand to get a good heavy 10 that was ready to go... BUT I already have an Axelson 20" with a 10 foot bed, an Axelson 16 with a 30" work envelope and a Monarch 10EE to take care of everything else :)

The heavy 10 isn’t an improvement over the standard 10?

What "standard 10" are you talking about?

Next time you post a thread like this, put the original URL in your post. That way, others can get a better look at the item to answer your questions. Also, post your pictures HERE, so that they will always exist.

The posted photos are not high enough resolution to be able to make any determination as to the "shape" of the machine. Is the bed hardened? Do you even know how to tell? When you go see the lathe, bring along a 1" or so bar about 20" long and a dial indicator. Read up on how to check spindle bearing clearances and perform the tests on the lathe. It's also not very well tooled - plan on spending another $1,000 to get all the other tooling you will want/need. A good paint job can be like putting lipstick on a pig - it doesn't add any value, it just tries to cover up the fact that it is a pig.

All in all, from what I am seeing, the lathe is on the high side of price for what you are getting. But if the spindle clearances and the ways are are okay, then it could be an acceptable buy.

Here's the procedure for checking the headstock bearings:

attachment.php

I have a short bed Heavy 10 similar to the one in the pictures. I like it but it is short for sure. I usually leave the tail stock off unless I'm using it because it just feels crowded and it prevents me from backing the carriage off far enough.

It's a little better with the 5c setup but once you throw a chuck on there, there's not much space left.

Teryk

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo (XT1952DL) using Tapatalk

I have a short bed Heavy 10 similar to the one in the pictures. I like it but it is short for sure. I usually leave the tail stock off unless I'm using it because it just feels crowded and it prevents me from backing the carriage off far enough.

It's a little better with the same 5c setup but once you throw a chuck on there, there's not much space left.

Teryk

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo (XT1952DL) using Tapatalk

91C662AF-3DFA-486C-A892-36DCD9ED8D8E.jpg
So I wasn’t aware that you had to click on “full site” to be able to access the image upload portion as I’m always on my phone. While I was there I found this for a little more money . I’m considering it

The last photo in the most recent post looks a lot like this machine does not have a flame hard bed. There seems to be flaking on the tailstock ways, near the headstock.

Paint looks good for certain - but then, chrome don't get ya home.

38691A53-8931-4BD6-ABB7-E1157A7E375D.jpg
This is what I just sold.... 3 foot bed, couldn’t do much with it. She was very clean, these machines are not rigid at all. The tool post would flex even with light cuts. When I sold it I unbolted it from the table and carried it myself. 2 steps above a harbor freight

The last photo in the most recent post looks a lot like this machine does not have a flame hard bed. There seems to be flaking on the tailstock ways, near the headstock.

Paint looks good for certain - but then, chrome don't get ya home.

You've got better eyes that I do - I can't see enough detail to even begin to see flaking. Depending on the year made, it just could be a hardened bed. I believe that in 1966-67 the H&G beds became standard (except for the 9" and 10k, which never had that option).

View attachment 300292
So I wasn’t aware that you had to click on “full site” to be able to access the image upload portion as I’m always on my phone. While I was there I found this for a little more money . I’m considering it

That looks to be some flavor of Chinese but, I would take that over damm near SB ever built for capability . Foot brake,camlock spindle ,oil bath QC box,gear head etc.

Back