What's new
What's new

Southbend identify

Josephhart

Plastic
Hello, recently picked up 2 nice lathes... the one I’m considering keeping is a Southbend catalog #CL8145B, while it seems this was made after 1960, the serial # is 1710TKL9 in which I can’t find any info on.
I know the history of the lathe regarding ownership but he was in the dark about dating it... the 1hp motor has a frame # of 203 which I thought wasn’t put on motors until after 1962ish?
It is a 3 phase in which I will be using a VFD to 110.

Thank you in advance, God bless...
Joseph

1710T says about 1951 on that 13" per serial book

What does it take some PO - a few hours to put in a differing motor?

Serial tells the tale on age

You can order the serial card from Grizzly that will give you the exact date of manufacturer, and often the original purchaser.

I recently acquired an old SB Lathe and am awaiting the serial card from Grizzly... The # stamped into bed is 43xxx without letters and the end gear cover says it is a Workshop 9x3.5 without calling out which model (A,B, or C) so, from what I can find, this means it was one of the workshops made in the first few years ('27 or so) which jives with the spreadsheet I found for dating by bed #. No gear box and only one wheel and one lever on apron which makes this a Model C I believe.

I have found two things that have me perplexed. First, when I removed the tailstock and separated it I could see that the base has what appears to be a dated on it of '51. And secondly the arm which holds in place the gear cover has two extra holes drilled in it which accept the cover but don't allow close.

Two questions:
1. Is the number on base of the tailstocks a date?
2. Were these lathes built with 3 holes to move the cover over when using different gear setups? Or do I have a frakenlathe of sorts?

BTW: When looking into this acquisition I stumbled upon this forum and ultimately decided in favor of the lathe because of all the knowledge and help available here. Thank you all for being here and thanks in advance for any help u can give. Please correct me if I have made any incorrect statements above.
Thanks
HB

Hello, recently picked up 2 nice lathes... the one I’m considering keeping is a Southbend catalog #CL8145B, while it seems this was made after 1960, the serial # is 1710TKL9 in which I can’t find any info on.
I know the history of the lathe regarding ownership but he was in the dark about dating it... the 1hp motor has a frame # of 203 which I thought wasn’t put on motors until after 1962ish?
It is a 3 phase in which I will be using a VFD to 110.

Thank you in advance, God bless...
Joseph

1950 13L (TKL)

Steve

reconfirm the Serial number, the Workshop series started in the range of 53xxx
post a photo of the lathe.

Steve

34425... I'm not sure i can upload pics. It is telling me doesn't support mobile.

I received card today but its hard to read and everything is handwritten and in columns without headers so I'm lost as to the meaning.
Forgive my ignorance but can I post pics from tablet or should I go inside and get on laptop?

Honey bear stick with us as every new member asks how to post pics. If you use mobile make sure “desktop page” or “desktop website” is ON in your phone settings, you will get a white page saying ERROR, just REFRESH the page a few times and you’ll see the website again.

If you use a tablet I can’t help ya.

If you use PC it’s a lot easier.

You can add a max 5 attachments to each post ( more on that later) but the photo size/quality will automatically shrink and degrade.

You can also upload the photos in original form fullsize directly to the website under your name in your “photo album”.

Photos in your photo album can be “linked” in your post and will show FULLSIZE.

Remember the attachment limit? Using the “BB-code” (linking photos from your album) you can attach AS MANY FULL-SIZE photos as you wish to your post no limit (that I know of)

Example

attachment.php

1927. Very cool. Those old lathes don't have as much detail as the one I have from '41.

Have you done any research on what the Norfolk Motor Equip. Corp did in the 20s?

Not yet... I haven't been able to find any record of that company... I have asked around as I live near Norfolk in va but have not found anyone who has heard of it... maybe a different Norfolk.

The gear cover on end of lathe has a plate from Henry Walke Company but it doesn't match this lathe as the SB plate on same cover calls out Workshop which were not made in '27.

Thanks for the help everyone... I asked SB to explain the serial card and they did. The S is the code for the team that built lathe, which got me thinking... I wonder if each team also kept a ledger with more information.

So they have confirmed I have a 9x3 CAT# 22-Y sold in 1927. The first think I need to do is make certain I have all parts and accessories. I acquired from a friend that knows nothing about the lathe nor most everything in the garage. It was his grandfathers and he passed 5 years ago. So not being familiar with metal lathe equipment as much, especially this old, I'm nervous I will overlook things that I don't recognize.

One thing I do know is I am missing all extra gears. I only have what was on machine. My buddy is a welder turned artist when bored so I need to secure these gears before he turns them into turtles or who knows what else. How many gears come with this model? I noticed a kit in a catalog to switch to metric threads. Is that just gears or does that require other spacers or brackets? Does anyone have a link or file which would show what accessories would fit these lathes? I feel like between my ignorance and his creativity I'm going to end up spending good money on say a miling attachment only to discover he made a yard art windmill out of it.

Is there a manual to rebuild the 22-Y? And run it? I've seen manuals floating around but didn't know if they are available specific to the 22-Y...

It is a 9-inch Junior, catalog No 122-Y. Originally a counter shaft drive lathe on floor legs.
This is a Series O lathe, see parts listing for that series before 1934.
Nice find!!

Steve

1. I am looking to find parts diagram, exploded view , or anything to show parts and possibly disassembly /reassembly sequences. I've never rebuilt a lathe and don't want to damage it or myself in process... where can I find these if they exist?

2. I found "How to run lathe" rev 27 which was made the year after my lathe... Does anyone have access to rev 26? I assume that is the revision originally provided with my lathe. Or are the revs the same just different years?

1. I am looking to find parts diagram, exploded view , or anything to show parts and possibly disassembly /reassembly sequences. I've never rebuilt a lathe and don't want to damage it or myself in process... where can I find these if they exist?

2. I found "How to run lathe" rev 27 which was made the year after my lathe... Does anyone have access to rev 26? I assume that is the revision originally provided with my lathe. Or are the revs the same just different years?

AFAIK, there are no diagrams for South Bend with more detail than what you will find in the parts lists. What most guys in your shoes do is research posts on this website from other owners sharing their experience and post questions as they come up.

If you're concerned about messing up the machine, just remember not to do anything until you know what you are doing. Don't assume anything and do lots of reading before you tear into it. There are some things you find that you need specific information about a specific part of your machine, but in general you'll get a lot of good understanding by just paying attention to what other guys have done with other makes and models of machine tools.

Back