What's new
What's new

Southbend Lathe Model?

biggwill

Plastic
Hi All,
I'm new to the practical machinists forum and very keen on learning a little more with the help of this forum.

I recently acquired a Southbend Lathe as my first hobby lathe and a part restoration project. However, I am unsure of the model lathe i picked up. It measures approximately 400mm between centres with a bed length of approximately 900mm and currently runs a Compton 1/2 BHP motor (disconnected from the main lathe).

I would some help in confirming the model number of this lathe? as well as what parts i am missing. Based on a little research, theres not gearbox (to perform thread cutting) and no t-nut for the tool post to thread into.

My list of things I would like to do are:
1. Overall clean of the lathe
2. Inspect the gears and reoil everything
3. Upgrade tool post to a quick change
4. Figure out how best to perform thread cutting in metric if possible?

Appreciate everyones help.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Southbend001.jpg
    Southbend001.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 176
  • Southbend002.jpg
    Southbend002.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 123
  • Southbend003.jpg
    Southbend003.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 149
  • Southbend004.jpg
    Southbend004.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 140
  • Southbend005.jpg
    Southbend005.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 116
As for cutting metric threads, there are a number of ways, but they all involve changing the gearing on the end of the lathe. Do you have any more changegears for it? If so, which ones?

allan

Hi Allan, Thanks for the information. I suspected it was a model 9c workshop lathe but grateful for your insight.

Regards to the gearing, I didn't receive any additional gearing for it. Only a live centre, some cutting tools and drill attachment. And it's missing a t-nut which I'll need to have made.

Any idea where to start the restoration?

Back