What's new
What's new

Southbend mystery

Mal T

Plastic
I have renovated what I think is a 9A but a couple of mysteries have arisen. The bed serial number has the letters NCR which I believe is for a standard gearbox. My lathe has a quick change gearbox and the plate says it has a 31/2 foot bed. My bed is only 36” and there are only 2 screws holding the QCG in place in the bed instead of the usual 3. I am in Australia and do not know the history of the machine at all but am wondering if putting upgraded equipment on a bed was a norm for 1952. The name W.B. Rapp Philidelphia is on the drive train cover and maybe they did the change? Would love to hear your opinions.

Does your lathe have power crossfeed? If not, you may have a frankenlathe - a lathe cobbled together from parts of others. The "NCR" stands for 9", standard change gears, and regular spindle hole, so it looks like someone, in the lathe's 60+ years of life, decided to swap parts from one to another. It wasn't factory done, just a previous owner who obtained the needed parts from another lathe.

Not too mysterious, you've got a franken-lathe. Somewhere during its life, it got upgraded. Very unlikely that a dealer did it, or that it was done anytime near the bed's manufacturing date.

allan

Yes, the lathe does have power cross feed. It appears everything is 9a except the bed. I don’t suppose it is possible to date the QCG from the number on the casing?

Yes, the lathe does have power cross feed. It appears everything is 9a except the bed. I don’t suppose it is possible to date the QCG from the number on the casing?

It's possible, but you would need more information than is available. The number on the QCGB is just a UNIT NUMBER, which is basically a version number. With the version number info (date, change made, etc), you could get an idea as to its age. I wouldn't worry about any of the changes - just lathe away.

Good advice. Just waiting for the motor to be renovated and I can get rid of my non European made lathe. Looking forward to using the SB, it just feels right

Back