What's new
What's new

SouthBend Nordic 15

MotoMike

Plastic
Hi folks seeking some input from those with experience in this area.

We have a Nordic 15 serial CN15770531N48. The boss purchased it used and we've gone through and changed all the gear box oils and done all the recommended lubrication. The lathe has been running for a short time and is working well with a couple exceptions.

Noisey compared to it's predecessor which was about half the size of the Nordic 15. with the motor running without belts, the motor is very quiet and continues to spin for at least a minute after you turn it off. listening to its bearings and they sound fine on the stethoscope. The Shaft that the motor drives has no run out that I can perceive and the bearing closest to the pulley is pretty quiet when the belts are reinstalled and running. the other end where it has a bearing mounted on the case is also realatively quiet. If I put a stethoscope on the gear box about even with the middle bearing is it is quite noisey. But I don't have experience to know if they run noisy. My boss said he has seen some lathes that are just noisey.

The other issue is that when you go from forward or reverse to the break position the break does work as it seems it should, but then does not disengage. If you kill the power it disengages.

thoughts or general discussion. the Oil we put in the gear box is DTE24 per lube list provided here. the manual does not say but elsewhere I've read that they used 10 weight oil. seems light to me. would thicker oil quiet it down?
thanks in advance.

Mike

I use my stethoscope often. I'm not a South Bend expert . Also I haven't seen a SB Nordic 15 but if it's equiped with spur gears it will sound noisy with a stethoscope. It may be normal. I would just keep the human ears on it and only worry if it gets worse. A stethoscope on a gearbox can be combined noise.

I have always been a fan of heavier viscosity oils. Especially on worn gear trains. I grew up watching STP commercials. It can create heat in bearings and drag speed down in higher gears.

Sounds like a solenoid activated brake. It could be a wiring issue. A sticking solenoid wouldn't release when powering down.

Back