What's new
What's new

Southe Bend Lathe Video

Kevin T

Stainless
So I watched this again to make sure I had a few things straight and i am left with a question.

If you skip to 16:05 in the video they discuss the daily oiling of the lathe and the machinist uses 1 type of oil for the entire machine! This video is from the time of my lathe but I do have a hard to read oil plate on my belt cover too. I am sure this has been discussed but one kind of oil would make life a lot easier. Anyone know the story? What do you long time vintage machine using machinists do?

This topic does present itself from time to time. I can tell you a few agree with me, but the majority do not. I use atf for everything. Spindle, gear boxes, and ways.

I do have several reasons. One is convenience. Two is odor, atf is sort of pleasant, where way oil stinks like gear oil, and this at my home shop, not a commercial shop with a bunch of meat heads around. Also besides lube, atf is easy to clean and keeps machine clean.

Another reason, i don't like spindle oil. Rubbing it feels like brake fluid, not lube. And in my own set up i tried both. Rolling spindle by hand, i spun nicer and more free with atf, with oil clearamce at about .0015.

I started operating my working lathe a few years back. I'm not an everyday user, prolly average a few hours, once a month. Sometimes i go at it quite a bit, other periods i take months off. Well about 6 month ago i ran checks on spindle thrust, and up and down play for oil clearance. The numbers were identical to when i completed lathe.

Outside of south bend lathes, ive gone through some other machines too. The real enemy is lack of lube, not which lube. Its like the same story over and over. Someone gives up on a machine because it's not operating well. You get it, you find major sections, or whole machine has had no lube for years. On top of being filled with grit and debris. Where a cleaning and lube, almost any lube, goes a long way.

If i was running a shop with a bunch of different people, and the machine were used hardcore every day, i might use way oil on ways. With the minimal hours I run, plus i legit oil and lube everything, I'll die old and gray before any wear is added to the machine. Or older and grayer, lol.

one oil is a stretch but possible...if one really wanted to SAE20 non detergent was the go to forever...not as common as it once was.

for me i eventually consolidated it down to two.
both readily available.

Mobil DTE 24 (iso 32) for spindle, apron and reverser assembly(the tube gits)
Mobil DTE 26 (iso 68) everywhere else.

my machines were cast iron bearing....the above oils fell within the original SB saybolt recommendations.

Last edited:
To be totally honest, I use only two oils myself...the Spinestic and the 2nd one down on the list. I rarely use my 9" these days, so I try to oil and run her every so often. The rest of the time, she is covered. Having just finished a total restoration of my lathe, what I fear most is rust. I've worked too hard to make everything shine and gleam as if new.

To prevent rust, I use Starrett M1 spray...and I spray everything bare metal. I will even remove the belt and hit the 3 pulleys (and horizontal drive) with M1. Easy enough to wipe pulleys down with laq thinner if/when I need to use it. I'll also spray the ways, but then wipe off oil (M1) from painted surfaces.

By the way, I have found the best and cheapest cover for my 9" is a kingsize (clear plastic) mattress cover that is used for moving/transporting mattresses. Readily available at any Lowes or Home Depot. What you have to do is fully open the bag and slip it over the entire lathe and bench....sort of like putting on a pillow case. When you've finally reached the bottom of the bag and the lathe is fully covered, walk around the bench with a pain of scissors and cut off the excess about a foot below the machine (or lower). What you get is a clear plastic bag total covering your machine. Easy on and easy off.

Why someone doesn't off a custom fit cover (out of heavy clear plastic) for 9" and 10" lathes is beyond me. One could be a straight rectangular shape for lathes with under-drives, and another version that is L-shaped for those of us with horizontal drive units. Yeah, I guess there is no market for something like that. I'd be lucky to sell a dozen! Just saying.

PMc

View attachment 283823 View attachment 283820 View attachment 283821 View attachment 283822

might be good in Texas...but if you put a plactic cover on a machine around here youre gonna have a rust bucket, and a mouse haven.

Same here. It's a battle to control the elements in the garage when living near the ocean but I have a handle on it!

I have a few pics blown up from an original 1942 tag. A little hard to read. But you can. The last pic is a near duplicte in replication. The difference being, headstock bearings. The original says two parts kerosene and one part good grade oil in sae 10.

Also the upgraded tag may have in mind brass/copper bushings for spindle. The early 1940's was the cast iron of headstock.

the rest is:

apron sae 10.

general lathe lube sae 20.

The all say good grade oil, not to use auto engine oil.

One problem I have is, oil today is not the same as 1941. Neither engines or the oil was the same.

68.jpg69.jpg70.jpg71.jpg72.jpg

might be good in Texas...but if you put a plactic cover on a machine around here youre gonna have a rust bucket, and a mouse haven.

It's gonna rust regardless of cover or not. The cover isn't intended to stop rust; the oil is.
Even in AC, bare metal will rust if not protected. The cover is just to keep dust, wood, and all kinds
of crap from settling into the oil on the machine. The cover is clear; not a tarp or vintage car on 4 flats
with windows left down for mouse homes.

I knew there would be differences of opinion. But personally, I simply choose to take care of my machinery and tools; doesn't
take much effort. It beats the alternative which can border on neglect.

PMc

View attachment 283840 View attachment 283841 View attachment 283844

No big deal 10K, I'm sure you do take care of your machines by simply using them on a regular basis.
To each their own; no harm, no foul.
Stay safe.

PMc

YouTube

Beautiful machines and your work space looks like a great place to spend quality time! Someday I would like to add a shaper to my shop.

Okay, thanks.

I/we certainly got off-topic and it was never my intention to
sound "preachy" or to infer that you (or anyone else) doesn't take care of their
machines. With all the crap going on these days, lathes can get moved way down the list
of priorities.

PMc

View attachment 283872

Okay, thanks.

I/we certainly got off-topic and it was never my intention to
sound "preachy" or to infer that you (or anyone else) doesn't take care of their
machines. With all the crap going on these days, lathes can get moved way down the list
of priorities.

PMc

View attachment 283872

It's kind of a universal truth that any oil thread takes on a life of it's own! I knew that going in!

Beautiful machines and your work space looks like a great place to spend quality time! Someday I would like to add a shaper to my shop.

Thank you for the kind words. Be careful what you wish for. Shapers are really interesting to watch and mess around with, but are really just historical vintage machines these days. I'd kill to have a vertical mill in its place. And this Atlas weighs a TON! I have to use an engine hoist to lift it onto and off the stand, which thankfully, I don't have to do anymore!

If you have some time, watch this video on making a camel-back straight edge on a shaper. Now THIS is a REAL shaper!!
YouTube

PMc

I use breathable car covers when I am not going to use a machine for a while. It seems like a better solution than plastic.

Kevin, yes, one oil is/was a thing....SAE20 non detergent.
bear in mind many tolerances were also looser such as spindle clearances.
i am of the opinion there are better alternatives now.
better but perhaps benefits never to be realized.

hedging my bet, i went with two.:)

Back