What's new
What's new

Spindle bearings

Trent,
Surprise, there are no separate spindle bearings on the SB 9" Model A! The spindle rides directly in the cast iron journals. A cost saving measure from long ago, it actually works great as long as the oilers are oiled and maintained. You'll find the procedure for spindle removal at the above link, or at the other SB lathe group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbendlathe/

Hi There,

Some SBL 9 inch lathes have bronze spindle bearings. It basically comes down to what type of 9 inch lathe you have. If it is a bench model with the horizotal drive, then it problaby has cast iron bearings. If it is a cabinet model with the underneath drive, then it will have bronze bearings. The easiest way to tell is to look for the two slotted screws (for bearing expanders) in the upper bearing housing over the spindle If it doesn't have them, then it doesn't have bronze brearings.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Hi There,

Hey John! When was that lathe made? During WWII, SBL made lathes w/o the bronze bearings. Some were sold as late as 1947 (as far as I know). I forgot about them when I made my last post. Sorry for the omission.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

I don't know the age. It was a parts machine that I had sitting around for a couple years--never called SB. Old, though. I do remember that a couple similarly-bearing'd underdrive machines were described in resto articles online.

My 1964 SB 9" Model A is horizontal/rear drive, and it has the cast iron bearings. I'm not sure when SB started the underneath drive/cabinet version, but its apparent somewhere along the line the bronze bearings of the 10K made their way into the 9". Perhaps at some point the underdrive 9" headstock with bronze bearings was just a 10K with less swing?
Jeff

Hi There,

The 9 inch underneath drive model predates the 10K. I have a catalogue dated 1948 (12-D) that lists both the bench model (horizontal drive) and underneath drive 9 inch lathes but no 10K. As to the type of bearings, it makes no mention.

I have seen many 9 inch SBL lathes; both bench and cabinet models (I used to work for a guy that sold used machinery) and I don't ever remember seeing one without bronze bearings. I don't know if any were made without the bronze bearings but I do know that durring WWII, brass and bronze were strategic materials and manufactures were asked to limit the use of them whenever possible.

My first lathe was a bench model made in Oct. of 1942 and it didn't have any bronze or brass in it at all. The bearings in the gearbox and the cross feed nut were cast iron. Even the tag on the gearbox was steel instead of the typical brass.

I am not totally cetain when the 10K came out but I think it was in the 1950's.

So I think the bronze bearings used in the 9 inch underneath (cabinet) drive lathes predates the 10K.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

I'm not 100% certain, but I'm inclined to agree with Jeff on this. Most of the 9" SB lathes I've seen had the cast iron bearings. My 1958 catalog describes the 9" lathe as follows: "...super-finished spindle, precision bored integral bearings for spindle with oil reservoir and capillary oiling system...", 'integral' being a euphemism for 'no separate bearings'.

The description for the 10K in that same catalog is as follows: "...super-finished spindle, replaceable bronze sleeve bearings for spindle with oil reservoir and capillary oiling system..."

I could be wrong, but my experience leads me to believe that the incorporation of the bronze spindle bearings in the 9" lathe came fairly late in that model's history.

Paula

Edit: Another data point -- I just noticed that the parts book for my 9" lathe has a page (dated 11-15-64) which shows a parts breakdown for the "9-Inch Underdrive Headstock with Sleeve Bearings", so they must have been available at least as early as that.

Hi There,

Well, I guess maybe all the cabinet models I have seen were later models. I am surprized that I have never seen one of the earlier (non-bronze) models. Oh well, I learned something new.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

I removed spindle and wasn't too much trouble.It is a cast iron sleeve,journal,or whatever it's called.It has the oil wicks that appear in pretty good shape.I do see some circular scratches that I was trying to explain to Mendoje1 and I think we have ruled out oil grooves.I was just asking him the best way to remove scratches or scarring from journal.Spindle also has a few chips stuck or welded to it.Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Trent,

My 9A has a badly scored bearing - see my web site for discussion. I cleaned up the ridges and have not found this damage to cause any problems so far. However, unlike yours, my spindle was in very good shape. Let us know how you make out.

Jeff Greenblatt

Back