What's new
What's new

Spindle Bearings for 1979 Heavy 10

Rozicrc

Plastic
I have a heavy 10 with scored bearings I am restoring. Serial number 21394R. The shaft is badly scored and I am having it chromed and reground to size. I called grizzly and they want a part number that I don’t have, and I checked with Ted (sblatheman) and there are none available through him. Does anyone have a part number or a new set of spindle bearings that I could get? I don’t have the facilities to tin or Babbitt and remachine without the lathe accurately.

Ron

Last edited:
Yes it had runout and I don’t have shims left to remove. I tried grizzly, blue mountain, and sblatheman. No one has bearings. I would like to resurface and chrome plate the shaft to repair. Does anyone have the spindle to bearing clearance for a new bearing?

You don’t have any shims to remove? Does this mean you do not have any shims in at all, or you can’t reduce the thickness of the ones you have? Original shims were .018” thick.

A member here, FSH, sells laminated shims on eBay. I recommend them.

If you have spindle run-out with the set-up you have, that's the fault of the spindle, not the bearing inserts. Chroming and re-grinding should fix the run-out. BUT make sure the spindle bearings are ground relative to the bore of the spindle and not "free form" in a centerless grinder because you could end up with run-out of the spindle bore if you're not careful about that.

Bearing clearance should be .001 to .0015 if memory serves. You could get away with a little more than that. With a hard chrome bearing surface on the spindle, you should try running in the bearings you have because even though the bearing surfaces may be scored, they're not likely to damage the spindle for a long, long time and you would probably find that you have acceptable performance that way.

Probably true. I will keep an eye out on eBay and see about getting the existing one reconditioned as well.

Back