What's new
What's new

Spindle oil use

coyotechet

Cast Iron
Hello to All
I have a nice 1947 9a 4½ bed. The lathe seems to go thru a lot of spindle oil at the rear spindle bearing. Have to fill the reservoir every 5 to 10 minutes at all rpm setting (not in back gear). I have removed the spindle cleaned every thing and replaced the wicks. Use Mobil velocite no.10 spindle oil. The front spindle bearing hardly ever need to add oil. Both front and rear cast iron bearing's are in perfect condition as is the spindle. The spindle bearing's are both adjusted to .0015 clearance as stated in the south bend manual.
:Note it only seems to leak out the oil on the rear side of the bearing next to the take up nut.

My question is there anything that I can do to slow down the oil leakage of the rear bearing.

Thanks Chet

9 inch back splash & pan.jpg

Hello to All
I have a nice 1947 9a 4½ bed. The lathe seems to go thru a lot of spindle oil at the rear spindle bearing. Have to fill the reservoir every 5 to 10 minutes at all rpm setting (not in back gear). I have removed the spindle cleaned every thing and replaced the wicks. Use Mobil velocite no.10 spindle oil. The front spindle bearing hardly ever need to add oil. Both front and rear cast iron bearing's are in perfect condition as is the spindle. The spindle bearing's are both adjusted to .0015 clearance as stated in the south bend manual.
:Note it only seems to leak out the oil on the rear side of the bearing next to the take up nut.

My question is there anything that I can do to slow down the oil leakage of the rear bearing.

Thanks Chet

View attachment 239383
different types of spindle oil. different viscosity. thicker oil is slower at leaking out
if oil so thick it wont go through oiler then its too thick usually. i have had hand pump oilers like that and next thinner oil usually its ok to hand pump again

Ok, bet you have the needle roller thrust in place?
with those I found that the little wire clips helped.

No Needle roller thrust bearing. Had the South Bend fiber thrust washer replaced it with the South Bend steel thrust washer. Still seeps oil just as much as ever.

Chad what wires are you talking about and where do I get them?

Thanks Chet

Thanks!!! I tried about ten times to find a way to get the pictures yesterday and today after chad posted this link I now also can get the pictures of post #8. This time I copied the pictures and pasted them in my South Bend Document file. THANKS YOU CHAD

Chet

If the function of the clips is to prevent an airlock of the return passage, then it makes sense that installing them might solve your problem- if you are airlocked and it's forcing oil out instead of draining back into the sump.

If you install the clips and still have an issue with excessive loss, there's got to be an issue with the journal. Be sure to post follow-up if the "fix" works.

Back