What's new
What's new

Sticky Jaw on Four Jaw Chuck

Kevin T

Stainless
So I just finished going through my 10" 4 jaw and putting it back together one of the jaws is really sticking. It's a scrolling chuck so there are a lot of parts there. I am having trouble finding where to address the sticktion! I put the jaw on a oil stone and also the screw holder slide. Used some needle files in the keyways. I found a couple high spots and it goes a bit more easy to a point but not good yet. Is there any isue if i just keep filing away until I get a fit or is there a part that I should focus on more than the others?

Could get a little time consuming, but maybe swap that jaw location to another. See if problem follows the jaw, or remains with screw or scroll.

With moving parts, high spots, dings or burrs, or debris. Id check any possible area that metal moves on metal. Im not shy about removing high spots with a file on flat surfaces, maybe a dremel if a curved area. Using good sense of course, not like a chain saw, lol.

im a bit confused...its a common condition. :)

is this a 4j independent chuck or a scroll chuck?....or a combination chuck?

on the assumption this is an independent chuck are you sure a keeper isnt just cocked slightly or driven a bit too far?

either one or both of those scenarios can manifest as binding.

im a bit confused...its a common condition. :)

is this a 4j independent chuck or a scroll chuck?....or a combination chuck?

on the assumption this is an independent chuck are you sure a keeper isnt just cocked slightly or driven a bit too far?

either one or both of those scenarios can manifest as binding.
I should have called it a Combination Geared Scroll Chuck...It's 100 lbs! I swapped chucks and he interference went along with it so I guess I know where to file!

P1050343.jpg

P1050344.jpg

Back