What's new
What's new

Strange GE Wiring Diagram for 10k

plinkerton

Plastic
Hi All,

I just pulled all the old 16/6 SO (it got pinched, long story) and replaced it with new 14/6 SOOW. This is from the motor to the junction box, and from the box to the motor. The motor is a 3/4hp GE 115v 5 lead (no thermal protection)5KC45PG183A. The drum switch is a Triple pole double throw Cutler-Hammer. I never had a chance to see if this lathe ran before it was disassembled, so I'm taking the wiring with a grain of salt.

I wired it the same way it was wired before and it will run in forward, and buzz in reverse. The reason I'm posting this is because I've dug through this forum and not found a wiring diagram that matches the one on the inside cover of this GE motor. Picture below, with redrawn diagram:
IMG_3107.jpg
IMG_3114.jpg

To make things a little more complicated the wiring diagram on the motor is upside down when compared to the actual switch. The switch has three jumpers (highlighted in blue) one of which is soldered in from the factory, which is why I say it is upside down. Currently how it is wired:
IMG_3115.jpg

In addition, It looks as if two original jumpers that were soldered in have been cut out and replaced with solid core wire to match the wiring diagram on the motor. Switch jumpers below:
IMG_3109.jpg

As near as I can tell the numbers match up even those these diagrams are different CW: (2&6 to Neutral) (5 to 4 Hot). CCW (5&6 to Neutral) (1 to 4 Hot)

Hopefully these pictures shed some light on what I'm talking about. If anyone has any ideas as to whats going on in reverse please let me know...

The instant reversing motors have a little relay and a special centrifugal switch with a kind of memory of their position. I wonder if you could swap the wires around so that the default direction of rotation was in reverse, just to see if it works?

allan

Plinkerton,
Here is a picture of the Cutler Hammer switch on my late '40's 9A. I checked my 10K (early '70's, also Cutler Hammer switch) and it's wired the same. Both have solid wire jumpers & both appear unmolested. I've also attached a diagram of the jumpers, shown in the same orientation of the switch photo.
If wires are well marked at the motors, I might be able to look at that for you if that's what you need.
Hope this helps,
CWC(4)

labeled cutter hammer switch 001.jpgcutter hammer diagram 002.jpg

Back