What's new
What's new

Stud Gear?

DonTen

Plastic
Looking at my QCGB info plate it says on the scale for the thread chart (Stud gear) and under that for each setting it says (40). So if I am thinking correctly wouldn't that mean I need a 40 tooth stud gear on the reverse lever for the thread chart to be correct? Thanks

33.jpg

No, the stud gear they are referring to is the one on the outside of your gear box input shaft. The printing on the index plate is a carry-over from the single lever GB, where some threads required a 20 tooth gear. On yours, it is 40T across the board.

No, the stud gear they are referring to is the one on the outside of your gear box input shaft. The printing on the index plate is a carry-over from the single lever GB, where some threads required a 20 tooth gear. On yours, it is 40T across the board.

I’m sorry, but you are wrong in so many ways.
The 40 tooth gear referred to on the index plate on the wide range gearbox is the stud gear. The gearbox gear is a 56T.
The stud gear for the single tumbler gearbox on a Heavy 10 is 24T
The stud gears for the standard gearbox(non-wide range) are 20T for the fine threads(feeds) and 40T for the coarse (just like the 9’/10K)
Ted

I am new to this so my question is why would South Bend refer to the gear you are talking about as a "screw gear" in the parts list and then call it a stud gear on the brass tag? The only gear that I see named a "Stud gear" that has to do with threading is on the reverse lever? I am not saying you are wrong I just don't quit understand that?

Stud Gear part pic and number
Stud Gear 1.jpgStud Gear Part Number.jpg

Screw Gear?
Banjo gears pic.jpg

Any one who has ever looked at SB's numerous charts - like this simple 9C one - cannot have much confusion about just WHERE the stud gear IS

It's the only one easily changed out that high up

SB 9C Chart.jpg

I’m sorry, but you are wrong in so many ways.
The 40 tooth gear referred to on the index plate on the wide range gearbox is the stud gear. The gearbox gear is a 56T.
The stud gear for the single tumbler gearbox on a Heavy 10 is 24T
The stud gears for the standard gearbox(non-wide range) are 20T for the fine threads(feeds) and 40T for the coarse (just like the 9’/10K)
Ted

Okay so I am thinking that I am correct. So I bought this reverse lever just now and it has a 40T stud gear. So this should be fine.

111.jpg

Okay, I was looking at the stud gear that is "stored" and not engaged. When not in use, it is stored on the input shaft of the gear box.

attachment.php

Back