What's new
What's new

Tagged my lathe today

Kevin T

Stainless
So I never noticed it when I was refurbishing the lathe over those 13 months but after using it for a long time I noticed that where users of my lathe rested their left elbow there was a stencil ID on top of the belt cover! It was barely noticeable under all the layers of paint that accumulated over the years at Pearl Harbor. Yet it was there! I found I like to rest here sometimes also to steady my eye or hands so the stencil was long gone away but I could make out the number, of course, its the same one on the gear cover...1008

P1060957.jpg

I knew I didn't want it to look too fresh or new but I got some 2" stencils with a National Stock Number (NSN) that were a perfect match. It's a curved surface so not ideal to apply the brass stencils but I was going for a distressed look anyway so a rag dipped in the paint was dabbed on as I rolled the stencil along the curve. It's passable but a little too bright for my vision of what I was going for.

P10609584.jpg

I am sure over time it will look right if I keep... "resting" here while I work but if I get another itch for instant gratification I may spray some off-yellow over it through the stencil.

Anyway I thought this might be interesting to some of you guys who take special care of your machines. You might see that hunk of brass on the compound that wants to be fashioned into an Aloris Too lpost riser block! LOL I just haven't talked myself into it yet.

P10609595.jpg

P10609639.jpg

I know that monkey wrench is a photo prop. :D

It's going to be in every pic now.

No really I leave it there in the tray with a small flat screwdriver that was my Dads! The two are very useful and I use them all the time. I might look for one of those bike wrenches and send it to you for all the help you've given me over the last couple years! I like to keep my tools near the area they get used but this is a weird space where i never know what I'll need...hence the Billings! LOL (Good Eye)

I think the stencil job looks great; don't mess with it anymore....it will grow on you.
You should get hold of some of these WWII advertisement prints and mount them (in frame)
near your machine.

PMc

View attachment 303080 View attachment 303081

Thanks mcload! If your keen eye says it looks right then I'm not touching it! The pics are awesome but might have to wait for a different shop down the road. I don't really have much wall space to mess with.

Back