What's new
What's new

Tags and rust

Gold smith

Plastic
I about to take the rust off my lathe bed 9 inch using the battery charger reverse plating method. Will this hurt my south bend tag? I would like to paint around it if possable.

I about to take the rust off my lathe bed 9 inch using the battery charger reverse plating method. Will this hurt my south bend tag? I would like to paint around it if possable.

Gold smith,

Best to remove all tags. If they're original, they'll be held in place with drive rivets. Think of a really high helix screw with no slot in the head. You can use a Dremel to create a slot and screw them out. Replacements are available on Amazon and elsewhere, or you can just screw the originals back in with slotted heads.

Most of the time you can snatch out the drive rivets with electronics-type flush nippers or toenail clippers. If you put the dataplates in the electrolysis bath all of the colored printing will be gone.

Most of the time you can snatch out the drive rivets with electronics-type flush nippers or toenail clippers. If you put the dataplates in the electrolysis bath all of the colored printing will be gone.

Thanks guys removing tag now.

I was able to use a small punch on the backside of the gearbox and gear train cover. If you look VERY carefully you can find the holes the drive rivets are driven I to. A few taps and you can drive them back out without hurting them.

image.jpgimage.jpg
Ok alot of tapping and whamo its off and cleaned up great. What kind of clear will not craze alagotor and or trash the origanal paint on this tag. I am not doint the epoxy thing i saw on u tube. Thanks for all help so far. The lathe is painted and ready for assembly.

Back