What's new
What's new

First project ideas

mwill135

Aluminum
So I’m a long way from having my first metal lathe up and running (see my other posts). But I’m curious about first project ideas - I have some in mind but I’m curious what you folks think. Tell me what you recommend for a good starter project. Feel free to share pics of good starter projects you have seen or done yourself. Thanks

Start with simply "playing" with scrap stock so you can get a feel for how the machine behaves. That way time spent later on something you want to keep won't be wasted due to ruined parts.

Spindle Nut

I ran across this video yesterday on making a spindle protector from a large nut.
No internal threading needed.

YouTube

Or there are some (vids) making from aluminum puck where internal threading is required. You could
make out of plastic too (Delrin). If you mess up, no harm, no foul.
Plenty of videos; even TubalCain has one.

PMc

View attachment 287241 View attachment 287245

Great first project is the tail tapper.
Buy a three size T tap wrench tap set.
Follow this vedio and make a tap driver that rides on your tail post.
The tail post can be one that goes on your tail drill chuck for faster than knocking the chuck out to tap.
Very handy because it can also be used in the drill press.
YouTube

I ran across this video yesterday on making a spindle protector from a large nut.
No internal threading needed.

YouTube

Or there are some (vids) making from aluminum puck where internal threading is required. You could
make out of plastic too (Delrin). If you mess up, no harm, no foul.
Plenty of videos; even TubalCain has one.

PMc

View attachment 287241 View attachment 287245

What a cute little nut he found to use as a thread protector! LOL
Seriously though cool idea, you can practice some knurl too!

I am making a chuck back plate as a first lathe project. I want to make a collet closer next. When I can hold some small stock better I have a few things I want to do. I want to make a few brass plugs to go in the open oil holes (the belt tension lever and the QCGB lever arm oiler. I also want to make a couple knurled threaded plugs that go in the compound oil holes. Maybe a couple knurled knobs to lock the graduated dials on the feeds so I dont need a screw driver. I have some real work that I want to do also. I need to bring in a buck for all the time I spend in the shop!

Just a consideration. But consider what type of metal. Yea, you can kind of cut anything, sort of, lol

But there's not just brass, bronze, or steel. There's a whole bunch of different grades of brass, bronze, steel etc. Some are a whole lot more pleasant to work with than others, in each type of metal.

In steel, there are so many grades, and so many types of tool steel, like A2, which is easier to machine.

Some brass or bronze may have other elements like tin, or lead. Like Bronze 932 (could be known as C93200 or SAE 660) it has some lead in it, and is real good for making bearings and bushings.

When you really start thinking of a project, research the type of metal, and look at all the variations. You'll see properties, machine-ability etc.

Just a copper, brass, and bronze list to make your head spin, lol:
Bronze Grades Available for CNC Machining - Parts Badger

The lower half of this page is really helpful for a general info on bronze types, applications and such:
Applications: Industrial - Selecting Bronze Bearing Materials

It's pretty much the same regardless which type of metal. If you research the variations of that metal, you can buy small pieces online of what you want.

Just a consideration. But consider what type of metal. Yea, you can kind of cut anything, sort of, lol

But there's not just brass, bronze, or steel. There's a whole bunch of different grades of brass, bronze, steel etc. Some are a whole lot more pleasant to work with than others, in each type of metal.

In steel, there are so many grades, and so many types of tool steel, like A2, which is easier to machine.

Some brass or bronze may have other elements like tin, or lead. Like Bronze 932 (could be known as C93200 or SAE 660) it has some lead in it, and is real good for making bearings and bushings.

When you really start thinking of a project, research the type of metal, and look at all the variations. You'll see properties, machine-ability etc.

Just a copper, brass, and bronze list to make your head spin, lol:
Bronze Grades Available for CNC Machining - Parts Badger

The lower half of this page is really helpful for a general info on bronze types, applications and such:
Applications: Industrial - Selecting Bronze Bearing Materials

It's pretty much the same regardless which type of metal. If you research the variations of that metal, you can buy small pieces online of what you want.

I think us newbs can get a headstart by searching for "free machining [insert metallic]" yeah? I also have a Jorgensen Steel stock list and reference book handy which usually lists the easiest to machine formulations first.

They are not super cheap on ebay but if the other companies follow suit there are some deals out there.

Hill-Chase Steel Aluminum Stock List and Reference Book | eBay

Back