What's new
What's new

Teco vfd

tholman

Plastic
Need some help. My teco FM100-201-N1 drive just took a crap. I bought the whole setup used and have been using for about 7-8 years. Does anyone know an equivelant to replace. I would like to keep the same hookups. Also if anyone can explain what is above my drive.
49439abb95cf10a5a5e5fb0832a8b665.jpg
93f7b0e57fdd5431f4eae64db076562f.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Nothing is going to be 100% the same wiring in the sense that the wires are in exactly the same place but most drives will pretty much have the same basic setup. Check out the Lenze drives. I have your exact Teco setup on my mill and a Lenze on my lathe. Really good instruction manual comes with it to program your settings. Above your drive those are braking resistors. They allow you to instantly electrically stop your motor. Doing this causes a large inductive spoke that must be disapated. Those resistors do it by turning that load into heat. That's why there's a fan. You don't need them unless you plan to use the instant stop option for your drive. Those may or may not be comparable with a different drive.

Sadly I have the same VFD in the same condition. When you search for a replacement, a couple of lessons learned:
1. Don't buy anything you can't download the manual first to see if you can, relatively, easily wire up buttons and a speed potentiometer.
2. Don't expect any of the low cost VFD to meet criteria 1.
3. Some VFD manuals only specify their part number for the braking resistors. But just as often the schematic, the same one that will give the button and potentiometer connections, will show the breaking resistance required. Looks to me that's exactly what the previous owner did and added the fan as extra insurance.
4. Unless you are making lots of quick stops and starts, you probably don't need the resistor. Mine never got warm in regular use. I simply put a simple heat shield over it just so I couldn't get close to it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I've got a TECO L510 that I bought new before I decided to do an RPC. If you want to buy it I will sell for a good price.

Sadly I have the same VFD in the same condition. When you search for a replacement, a couple of lessons learned:
1. Don't buy anything you can't download the manual first to see if you can, relatively, easily wire up buttons and a speed potentiometer.
2. Don't expect any of the low cost VFD to meet criteria 1.
3. Some VFD manuals only specify their part number for the braking resistors. But just as often the schematic, the same one that will give the button and potentiometer connections, will show the breaking resistance required. Looks to me that's exactly what the previous owner did and added the fan as extra insurance.
4. Unless you are making lots of quick stops and starts, you probably don't need the resistor. Mine never got warm in regular use. I simply put a simple heat shield over it just so I couldn't get close to it.

What make and model did you end up using. I am ignorant as to what I need since I bought this whole setup at an estate sale. I previously had a lathe that had a 110 motor with only one speed and the belt pulleys for speed changes. The lathe I have now has a on- off switch, a forward-reverse switch, and a variable speed switch wired into the vfd.
798259980255428a726a0a72661241a3.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I got one from Amazon. Didn't meet any of the criteria I laid out, and had to mount it where I can reach it from the mill. Quick | Cheap | Not very good. See it there is anything at Automation Direct that fits your budget. It "may" be possible to set up buttons on mine per the schematic, but nothing in the settings addresses it. Adequate but barely. The ABB I had was NOS, very sad the signal voltage died so I couldn't use the remote buttons. I put it on a 3ph grinder where the remote doesn't matter. But need to get it in a filtered box, always something.

Oh, sorry. All you need to do is match your input voltage, 220/208 I hope, and the motor hp. No need to go much larger unless the price is better. Most of the time matching the orginial spec motor requirement is the best course. Little to gain except the possibility of damaging the equipment. I believe there is an electrical sub-forum here too for quedtions.

Your lathe photo, shows a small machine. You do not need braking resistors with the inertial load you can drive with this.

Link to a Teco upgrade improvement.
Teco-Westinghouse, N3-201-CS-U, 1 HP, Variable Frequency Drive 230 Volt, 1 Phase Input, NEMA 1, at Dealers Industrial
This is sensorless vector drive, and allows very low speed operation with no belt changes. I have similar setup on my bench lathe, With no belt change, and no backgear, I can drive die threading operation, at very low spindle speed. My lathe is V-belt with jackshaft for speed reduction.
I always set up my VFD for coast to stop, as I don't need instant stop or decelerate to stop.

Back