What's new
What's new

A Testament To Lathe Rebuilding

Rick_B

Stainless
It seems there are ongoing conversations around rebuilding a lathe versus a clean up, oiling and running it. I've always felt that the rebuild process served a number of purposes - clean up of decades of gunk build up, check of parts to determine what may need replaced, gain an understanding of ho the machine works and finally pretty it up.

Today I was doing some simple turning to a diameter and the power feed stopped working. Because I had torn the lathe down to every single nut and bolt and reassembled - I completely understood and had a mental picture of how that power feed worked and what was wrong. It too 20 minutes to pull the apron, remove the oil sump cover, realign the clutch plates and reassemble. Without the experience of rebuilding I would still be scratching my head and asking quesions.

Now if I could only remember to not turn that clutch know so far and allow those plates to get misaligned in the first place :)

Rick

Rick,

From reading your description, I do not get the sense that you had done a rebuild at all, That is, no restoration of parts to original dimensions and tolerances. Rather, You do a thorough strip, clean, and reassemble. Which IS a very valuable procedure for understanding just what makes things tick!. I do it myself!

But I don't call it a rebuild, just a service.

Cheers

Cal

In the automotive world, to service a vehicle means to check all fluids, change the oil and inspect everything that can be inspected without disassembly.

To repair means to identify the bad component and replace it.

To rebuild means to tear down the item to its basic components, identify and replace any "bad" components, Replace all seals and gaskets and reassemble. This does not necessarily bring the item back up to factory specifications.
Note: The term rebuilding has been incorrectly used when referring to a remanufactured engine. A rebuilt engine has not had any machine work done to it. However the term is used correctly when referring to transmissions. Transmissions do not need any machine work done to them. Only the replacement of parts gaskets and seals.

To Remanufacture means to tear the item down to its basic components, Inspect all parts, Remachine any part that is necessary. Replace any worn or damaged parts And bring the item back to as close to factory specs as possible.

It is of course merely semantics and we don't want to get into an argument over the subject. But as mentioned before To rebuild is a general term that does not necessarily bring it back to factory specifications.

Stay safe and have fun.
Joe.

Thanks Ed - apparently my point was completely missed. Whatever I did (rebuild/restore/service) was completed well over a year ago so all of the associated repair/replacement of parts, set up and adjustment were done awhile back. My point was the benefit of that process over simply wiping the machine off. filling it with oil and turning it on. Maybe it seems more important to me because of my limited experience.

Rick

All newly acquired lathes require this "service". Once this service has been completed and a complete alignment performed with a functional test. It is only then that it can be determined if a rebuild and or repairs need to be done. In order to do this, the new owner will require precision test bars for both the headstock spindle and tailstock quill as well as a precision level. These items should be considered mandatory for accurate service. Unfortunately, many new owners think these things are plug and play.

re-build is a relative term. there are many levels of re-build.

mechanical rebuild is what Rick did, and is where we all start.

i`m a devout believer in the "incremental rebuild" for my personal machines.

do the mechanicals, use it a bit and see what can be improved.

repeat..:)

You guys have obviously never bought a lathe to do a job , when I buy a machine I put it in position ,wire it in ,a squirt of oil and then make chips, if it won,t make chips I start pulling it to bits.

That does not mean I don't like to fix things that don't work but I'm affraid they go on my to do list untill I Get around to it ,I have never taken an entire machine to bits just to put it back together again.

No offence intended ,I realise that for some the restoration of the machine is a big part of owning it.

Quote: ....... Now if I could only remember to not turn that clutch know so far and allow those plates to get misaligned in the first place......

There is supposed to be a left hand #10 x 32 screw in the middle of the star-knob to keep the clutch from coming apart . They are often broken off .

Back